• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Adelaide

joiei

I had dinner last night at Cafe Adelaide. We opted for the dinner with cocktail pairings directed with a masterful hand by Lou whipping up the perfect cocktail for each course perpared by Chef Danny Trace. The courses included

Crispy Louisiana Soft Shell Crab

five tomaotes, vidalia onion and cucumber ribbons

with summer corn and mirliton chow chow

served with a

Moscow Mule

Imperia vodka, ginger beer and lime

and

Menage a Fois

pecan cursted seared foie gras, foie gras brioche croutons, foie gras ganache and blueberry jam

classic sidecar

pierre ferrand selection des Anges cognac, cointreau and lemon

with frosted sugar rim

and

Louisiana boucherie

coffee crusted pork tenderloin, hogs head cheese and a boudin crepinette

Whisky Bay Cocktail

Woodford Bourbon, Calvados, pomegranate grenadine adn ornage flower water

Definitely worth the visit and if you book ahead to do the cocktail pairings, it will be a memorable meal.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

That sounds fantastic. I have always had great experiences at Adelaide, and , in fact, my favorite meal there was eaten at the bar with paired cocktails - though mine was more spur of the moment.

Edited by syoung68 (log)

I haven't done the spirit matched dinner, but the Swizzle Stick Bar at Cafe Adelaide is one of the best bars in town.

I was talking with someone the other day about the upcoming Tales of the Cocktail event, and one of the things at issue was the big block of ice at the center of the "U" shaped bar at Swizzle Stick. Apparently at one point they were cutting ice from the block for drinks? Can anyone confirm that, and explain why they've stopped (if they have)?

• 2 weeks later...

Another of the bartenders told me the same thing (about not being code) but was actually quite disappointed that they couldn't do it anymore.

We absolutely LOVED Swizzle Stick and the staff their. absolutely our favorite bar during our week visit to NOLA