• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harry Potter dessert

Ahona

Anyone else as excited about the release of the last book as I am?

I want to create a dessert to mark the (historic) occassion, but I'm stuck!

If you dont know much about food in HP, heres a link

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizworld/food.html

I could do something typically English, like the treacle tart harry loves, but I'm looking for something with a little more va va voom IYKWIM?

Something thematic, broomstick shaped maybe? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

a xx

Well, if you're going broomstick-y, those chocolate pirouttte type cookies might make nice twigs.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Perhaps a fusion of 2 styles...pick out a usable candy creation from one of the first books...say chocolate frogs and create from that...This could lead to frog molded chocolates.

Or a play on the sour tarts mentioned and create a phylo stacked lemon curd wizard's tower...involving several layers of several phylo sheets, butter, brown sugar and lemon cheese stacked with meringue crinolines (or whatever the top of towers have on them).

Ear wax cookies (kidding!)

I think there are some witch's hat cake molds, or use a christmas tree cake mold and trim it after baking, to make a sorting hat cake. Toffee filling somewhere in there would be terrific. For decor, if you're really adventurous, try a crystal ball made out of blown sugar and call it "the prophecy". For butter beer, mix cream soda and buttercotch schnapps, if it's an adult potter gathering. Chocolate covered pretzel rod "wands". For a serious dessert I'd go with toffee pudding. The most recent movie shows a whole pile of profiteroles.

My husband adds "Severus crepes"! That witty man o' mine.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

These ae travesties, as anyone who has been to boarding school in the UK knows.

It would include custard and stodge, like treacle sponge or suet pudding, bread and butter pudding, sticky toffee pudding or tapioca and jam (frogs spawn), or spotted dick or Bakewell tart.....real treats

For our local bookstore HP Party, I'm making Wand Cookies. I'm using a firecracker cookie cutter, coating in white choc (thanks Annie!), then writing a spell on the rectangular part and then sprinking glitter/pixie dust on the "star" end.

Here's the cutter: click

The cutter I have doesn't have the curve to it, I've just noticed. Looks pretty cool!

Anyone else as excited about the release of the last book as I am?

I want to create a dessert to mark the (historic) occassion, but I'm stuck!

I could do something typically English, like the treacle tart harry loves, but I'm looking for something with a little more va va voom IYKWIM?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Never read the books, love the films.

Best I can do is . . .

Malfoy's Mille Feuilles

godspeed, Mahona

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack