• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modo Mio

philadining

What they called Roman-Style Tripe got rave reviews all around, I think I liked it as much as a similar preparation I'd had at Osteria, and I loved that one. 

"Naples-style", actually. Which seemed a little odd: I'd never heard of it as a Neapolitan dish (though I'm sure they eat it there), and it wasn't substantially different from the more well-known Roman version. Chickpeas, maybe? Anyway, I thought it was pretty fantastic, probably the best tripe I've had in the city.

A Bistecca Fiorentina garnered similar raves. 

Bistecca siciliana- breaded & fried, topped with an egg and served with soppressata. Mouth-watering, artery-hardening goodness!

So, all in all, a pretty typical Modo Mio meal in our experience: head-spinningly delicious food, head-scratchingly odd mistakes.  And still a bargain, so it's hard to get too upset if one element comes up a little short.

I'll be going back, I'm OK with taking my chances...

Quoted for truth. The place is oddly inconsistent (seriously, why spoil the agnolotti by going so heavy on the lemon juice?), but it gets enough right-- and the price is so right-- that I'll return.

There's an amazing photo and recipe of Peter McAndrews "Sunday Gravy" in the current (09/09) Esquire. He credits the famiglia of his second generation Italian-American wife.

Meatballs, sausages, on-the-bone pork ribs with extra bones for good measure stock the huge pot.

So, has this been on the menu?

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

There's an amazing photo and recipe of Peter McAndrews "Sunday Gravy" in the current (09/09) Esquire.  He credits the famiglia of his second generation Italian-American wife.

Meatballs, sausages, on-the-bone pork ribs with extra bones for good measure stock the huge pot.

So, has this been on the menu?

Not to my recollection Charlie and not on their website menu either. This is close to how I make my gravy. http://modomiorestaurant.com/menu