• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook-tops: gas and/or Induction?

Frege

Pretty sure what she's talking about is something like this, i.e., a hot plate where the heating coil is enclosed in cast iron.  It's main advantage (I have one) is that it's not rickety like conventional coil type hot plates.

BTW, picking up on Shel's question earlier, I have no trouble holding a simmer with a NuWave induction cooktop.

I'll look at the Vollrath.  Can't use gas here ....

ETA: Yikes!  $500.00 for the Mirage Pro at Amazon ... more than I care to spend.

Bear in mind that Vollrath disclaims all warranty for home use of its induction units.

BTW, picking up on Shel's question earlier, I have no trouble holding a simmer with a NuWave induction cooktop.

That's not exactly what I meant by my question.  I was asking if any induction cooker can maintain a specific temp, over a period of time.  For example, say 62-deg C for an hour.  The NuWave only allows heat with 10º increments.  Sorry for any confusion

... Shel

The answer to that question is "no."  OTOH, there are several applications of SV/LT (sous vide/low temp) which don't require that level of precision and for which the NuWave would indeed be adequate.  If you care to discuss, we probably should take it to another thread.

That's not exactly what I meant by my question.  I was asking if any induction cooker can maintain a specific temp, over a period of time.  For example, say 62-deg C for an hour.  The NuWave only allows heat with 10º increments.  Sorry for any confusion

No. For that you would need to add an external SV controller, which many people do with portable induction burners. OTOH, some brands are already working on appliances for their induction cooktops designed for that, see http://www.cnet.com/products/ge-monogram-36-inch-induction-cooktop-with-sous-vide-accessory/

• Like 1

Some of the Max Burton plug in units have a temperature setting. I don't know how accurate it is though. (You can choose temperature or power mode.) 

Here's the link to the induction site review of the countertop units: http://theinductionsite.com/countertop-induction.php

And a link to some more information about Max Burton units: http://theinductionsite.com/induction-makers/maxburton-induction-hobs.php

(The website has a lot of helpful information on it too.)

Jayne

p.s. Yes, in terms of the question about the cast iron plug in, mine is similar but the brand I have is Broil King.

The temperature setting is not very accurate. It's on/off control and I believe mine steps from "140" to "200" and 200 ends up being a full boil.

Of course in colorado water boils at 200.

ok a follow up to this ? In a perfect world I would have time and money to make all my little crazy dreams come true ..but for now ..I am bagging the induction burners …I have searched and searched and it is all too expensive and  none of it makes sense to me ..will go as planned with drop in gas burners ..thanks so much this conversation was greatly appreciated.  I have learned so much about this whole subject! 

but in the end the gas burners win for me. 

the concrete counters will commence in just two weeks now I have to buy the sink and burners first so we can make sure the templates are accurate 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet