• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing homemade ice cream

pattimw

You really wanna eat it all up because otherwise ice crystals from water can form so much easier. Or you might wanna go ahead and freeze it and then re-mix it. That might help. That might loosen some of them back up to restore a better texture.

Does anyone know the best way to store homemade ice cream?

Store the ice cream in small containers that hold one or two servings. Put a piece of parchment or wax paper, or better yet, plastic wrap, directly on the top of the ice cream, use a secure, tight fitting cover for the container, and don't remove the container from the freezer until you're ready to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Don't store the container in the freezer door, rather, try to find space in the back or coldest part of the freezer.

HTH,

Shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Thanks everyone. I know it's ideal to eat it all soon after it's made, but sometimes that's not feasible. (not because I'm not a pig who can eat 4 cups of ice cream in one sitting, but because sometimes I restrain myself until my guests arrive). I'll try the re-mix trick if it seems crystal-y.

Thanks everyone. I know it's ideal to eat it all soon after it's made, but sometimes that's not feasible. (not because I'm not a pig who can eat 4 cups of ice cream in one sitting, but because sometimes I restrain myself until my guests arrive). I'll try the re-mix trick if it seems crystal-y.

Why not make a half batch and not have leftovers?