• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cucharamama, Hoboken

scarlet knight

I love Cucharamama! I think it is the single best restaurant in Hoboken. Their cocktails are also incredible.

A word to the wise: their appetizers, while delish, are freakishly small. I'm talking two or three bites, for $8 or so. The entrees are much more generously portioned. We had the white bean soup and roast leg of pork when we were there last, and we really enjoyed our meal.

Hope you like it as much as I do.

Agree with EmilyG -- probably the best food in Hoboken.

1) Drinks are excellent -- Ti Punch and Caiparinha (sp) are top notch. Very South American focused wine list.

2) While the apps are small, and not bargain priced, the flavors and textures are outstanding, and a good way to sample a lot of different things that the kitchen puts out. When I go with my wife, we usually split 3 apps and 1 entree and that's dinner for 2. The entrees are substantial, but we like doing a more tapas style dinner there, as there are always too many things we want to eat.

3) Service can be very uneven there. It vaires, but we've had times where you won't get a waiter for awhile, and then you order and everything comes out bang, bang, bang, even though we'll ask them to space it out. We've now taken to eating at the bar and just ordering things one at the time (the kitchen is generally very responsive that way), and the bartenders are very accomodating.

Regardless -- great food, fun atmosphere -- order lots of things and ENJOY!

Agreed, one of the top places in town. I love the blue cheese empanadas and can practically taste them in my mind as I type.

We had a bit of fun last fall by ordering the roast suckling pig when going with a bunch of friends. Frankly, while it was a neat experience and quite festive, I enjoyed the regular entrees we had enjoyed at our prior visit more.

Enjoy!