• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madrid Restaurant Near Las Ventas

RichardA

I am seeking restaurant recommendations for the area near the Las Ventas bullring in Madrid for a Sunday evening. I am seeking good Spanish cuisine. It could be a great tapas bar or a high end restaurant.

What about Ordago? I think they're pretty much in the same shape they've always been. Good traditional Basque cuisine.

There aren't many restaurants in the area, I agree, but you can do pretty well tapas wise, and if you walk a little --or take the tub--, hit L'Andecha or Cafetería Bruselas for some upscale raciones, wouldn't you say so?

I've been trying --unsuccessfully- to find something Álvaro Lerena --I think-- wrote for Metrópoli about eating in the area during the last San Isidro.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

http://www.elmundo.es/metropoli/2007/05/11...1178834513.html

What about Ordago? I think they're pretty much in the same shape they've always been. Good traditional Basque cuisine.

There aren't many restaurants in the area, I agree, but you can do pretty well tapas wise, and if you walk a little --or take the tub--, hit L'Andecha or Cafetería Bruselas for some upscale raciones, wouldn't you say so?

I've been trying --unsuccessfully- to find something Álvaro Lerena --I think-- wrote for Metrópoli about eating in the area during the last San Isidro.

I am seeking restaurant recommendations for the area near the Las Ventas bullring in Madrid for a Sunday evening.  I am seeking good Spanish cuisine.  It could be a great tapas bar or a high end restaurant.

Does it have to be there? Or are you traveling from elsewhere? Could you drive?

http://www.elmundo.es/metropoli/2007/05/11...1178834513.html

Good try, but it was a listing of several places what I was after, Luiz.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

It does not have to be near the Las Ventas but I thought that since I would be there that there might a worthwhile restaurant in the area.

I am staying at the Palacio del Retiro so would take a taxi to Las Ventas. I will be dining at Viridiana on Sat. night. Sunday night will be my last night in Madrid before I head into wine country.

Well, there is Casa Toribio (New Street) in 14 Cardenal Belluga St . who is usually the owner of all the bull's tails fighted at Las Ventas, he also has great anchoives and very good red prawns. Prices are on the high side for a tavern but there is plenty of local colour, specially during the bullfighting season. And it's open on Sundays.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

I am staying at the Palacio del Retiro so would take a taxi to Las Ventas.

Then your best Sunday-night bet, more or less halfway between Las Ventas and Palacio del Retiro, is Casa Rafa - one of Madrid's fine, classic 'marisquerías' or seafood houses.

http://www.amerc.es/CASARAFA/index.asp?idasociado=121

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino