• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

making bread sticks with puff pastry

little ms foodie

I'm in the middle of making cheese straw type of bread sticks with puff pastry and just realized that the last of the eggs got used this morning- now I don't have an egg yolk to brush the pastry with. Can I use something else or do I really need to run to the store??

I'm in the middle of making cheese straw type of bread sticks with puff pastry and just realized that the last of the eggs got used this morning- now I don't have an egg yolk to brush the pastry with. Can I use something else or do I really need to run to the store??

You can definitely do this without the egg wash.

thanks all! the straws already have soppreseta and pecorino in them so I don't need to do anything for flavor- it just says to brush them before baking with an egg yolk and since I'm out I was trying to think if water, milk or something else would work

thanks all! the straws already have soppreseta and pecorino in them so I don't need to do anything for flavor- it just says to brush them before baking with an egg yolk and since I'm out I was trying to think if water, milk or something else would work

Perhaps cream (higher fat) would be better than milk. If not butter.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

brushing with egg wash is either aesthetic - to give shine to a baked product...or...glue - to help something stick, either to itself or another food product to it.

so, if you made the "breadsticks" without anything sprinkled on them, then they didn't need an egg wash. if you were to have sprinkled more cheese on top before baking, then you might have needed some sort of wash.