• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just looking for recommendations (Oakland)

Jaimei

I'm in Oakland now, and will be here for pretty much the rest of the month. I've only specifically been out to dinner once. (been grazing and just buying stuff at the grocery store to eat).

Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of good places to eat that are still not too expensive. I've been being quite a homebody the past few days and would really like to go out and have dinner out the rest of this week. (Would be really nice if it was near College Ave. too, because then I could easily find my way there without getting lost lol)

In Oakland.

Tripping over rocks and almost falling in the water at the Berkley Marina in the middle of the night is so not a good way to die, unless it's the 4th of July.

Almost everything on College is "safe" but here goes:

barney's for burgers, gordo's for burritos, Pizzaiolo (Telegraph in Oakland) for neopolitan pizza, Ici for dessert, Cesar's (shattuck or piedmont) for a quick bite or cocktail. For vegan go to Cha Ya on Shattuck in Berkeley. Also good pizza go to the Cheeseboard Pizza Collective, also on Shattuck. For the best dirt cheap eats, just hit the main drag (Telegraph) by the campus. Also good in Berkeley are Sea Salt and Lalime's. If you venture to Solano Ave. in Albany, there are some really good places that will cater to any price point; Rivoli comes highly recommended, and there are some decent Thai Places there as well.

For Super Fancy Takeout, go to Gregorie's on Ceder and Shattuck.

For the best bread go to La Farine on College, but Semifreddi's (next to star grocery on Claremont) has good stuff as well, as does Acme bakery on San Pablo, which is next to Cafe Fanny, which has good brunch, which also happens to be near oak barrel winecraft, where you can make some beer, which also happens to be next to K&L wine merchants, where you can buy unique wines.

For a splurge go to Wood Tavern (college), Oliveto's (College) or Chez Panisse Cafe