• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Osoyoos Larose has a second label

eatrustic

Here's a heads up for all you fans of Osoyoos Larose. Friends mentioned on the weekend that they had come across this at our local VQA store and it's the first I've heard of it until now. Petales d'Osoyoos (Larose get it?). Pretty smart name for a second label.

I ran over to the Vintropolis wine store on 1st (which by the way is no longer associated with Vintropolis which has closed and has changed it's name) and picked up a bottle. It's a traditional Bordeaux blend with Merlot, Cab, Cab Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot and sells for $25.

Although I haven't had a chance to taste it yet (I'm going for a Quail's Gate Rose tonight with this heat) the people who I've talked to who have tried it say it is delicious and the wine store I picked it up at is blowing through their allotment (they had about 6- 6 packs left and they just got it in).

Anyone out there with more wine smarts than me who has tried it? Sounds like something the local restaurants would have jumped all over as the price point is perfect.

eatrustic:

That seems to have slipped in under the radar hasn't it? I'll ask at my favourite store but expect that allocations are likely quite small and as a result it probably has not made over the Rockies.

The same store obtained a mere two cases of Nota Bene from Black Hills.

Speaking of Nota Bene, I read that Black Hills is producing a Carmenere which is complete news to me.

You mentioned Quails Gate' Rose. Had it at a tasting a few weeks ago and quite enjoyed it. As you indicated, good sipper during the summer heat.

eatvancouver:

But at that price point it is pretty competitive. I have stopped buying much CA wine due to price. Loonie keeps going up as compared to the Greenback, purported glut of juice and yet, despite our supposed competitive liquor industry the prices are not going down [referencing Alberta].

Edited by merlin (log)

That seems to have slipped in under the radar hasn't it?  I'll ask at my favourite store but expect that allocations are likely quite small and as a result it probably has not made over the Rockies.

There's over 3600 bottles in the government liquor stores alone so it shouldn't be too hard to pick up a bottle somehow. Click here for availability.

Cheers,

Anne

When I was last at the Vintropolis VQA store (~ a week or so ago), they had what looked like ~20 cases stacked at the cash desk. Marquis also had some on hand last weekend for their BC release.

Speaking of Rose - I'm thoroughly enamoured with the Township 7 Rose (2006) - summer in a glass! It was superb with a grilled beef lettuce wrap we had tonight.

The Petales d'Osoyoos is not bad but I think you could do better with comparable priced wines from other producers in the Okanagan. If you like BC rose try to find some of the Joie - very tasty.

SB

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The Petales d'Osoyoos is not bad but I think you could do better with comparable priced wines from other producers in the Okanagan.

SB

Which ones would you suggest? Off hand I can think perhaps of the standard label from Cedar Creek. But what others at the $20 to $25 range? I would like to try them if I can find them. Of course being in BC and Okanagan assists. That was the reason for my comment about "crossing the Rockies" since we do not have access to the BC Liquor stores that Barolo suggested.

Certainly agree with your recommendation of the Joie Rose. It was all pinot noir as I recollect and am not sure what blend was used in the Quails Gate bottle. The latter reminded me more of what Sumac Ridge produced and the Gray Monk Rothberger [sp?]. Decent quaffable, picnic or cold cut wines. A little more sophistication with the Joie.

Of course rarely if ever see Joie wines in Alberta as well. Tried to get the Rose, Unoaked Chardonnay and Noble Blend this spring but fear of a liquor board crackdown on out of province shippers put an end to that request I am afraid...more for you BC'rs to drink....

There's over 3600 bottles in the government liquor stores alone so it shouldn't be too hard to pick up a bottle somehow.  Click here for availability.

Interesting. It seems as though production on this is pretty high. I was very surprised to see how high the production on the first label is given the price tag. It certainly is not limited in any way.

officially left egullet....

....but fear of a liquor board crackdown on out of province shippers put an end to that request I am afraid...more for you BC'rs to drink....

It does seem funny that BC's premier seems to be advocating more open inter-provincial trade....I suspect booze is not on the table for discussion though. :biggrin:

officially left egullet....

• 6 months later...