• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kumquats - Any ideas?

Anna N

I just received about 5 lbs of kumquats. There are only so many I can eat raw, any ideas on what to do with them?

My mother used to cook chicken with kumquats and a soy-based glaze. It may have been a James Beard recipe, but I'm not sure. It's not bad, though I thought it used too much soy and was also too sweet (sugar may have been added). The idea of combining kumquats with some type of protein dish is a good one, though, I'd say.

Michael aka "Pan"

Kumquat vodka marmalade, great with foie gras. They'd also be good in a chutney for duck. I used to have a book about olive oil - in the back there was a recipe for a polenta cake that called for a whole lemon ground up with sugar, I added kumquats to this mix as well and the cake was awesome. If only I could remember the name... came out about 3 years ago. I served it with honey whipped ricotta.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

• 4 years later...

Just harvested my first tiny crop of kumquats from the dwarf tree I planted two years ago. The weather has been bizarre since then so it was challenged. The entire harvest resulted in this miniature portion of kumquat and honey marmalade. The syrup off the spoon suggests it will be delightful.

009.JPG

What about salt preserved kumquats like you would do with lemons? That could be really interesting.

That works. This recently showed up from one of the blogs I follow.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

What about salt preserved kumquats like you would do with lemons? That could be really interesting.

That works. This recently showed up from one of the blogs I follow.

Yes ! Totally works. I did it a couple of years ago when I had a surfeit of kumquats from my CSA.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

These little citrus fruits pack quite the punch and they are frankly too much for some people. The boldness of the kumquat is best utilized in giving a zing to certain dishes. I tend to use them to the same extent as lemon or lime juice and often drizzle the juice on seafood.

They are also add a good zing to asian dishes such as orange or general Tso chicken. When making some of the more conventional Chinese sauces, the recipe sometimes calls for an orate peel and I simply throw in a kumquat or two (ground up of course). This gives the item a slightly more tart flavor.

Marmalade is also really good with these. I basically substitute them in any recipe that calls for orange peel because I think they taste pretty similar, but kumquats are a little more flavorful.

• 5 years later...