• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eliza Acton's "Modern Cookery..." 1845

The Old Foodie

There is finally a copy of Eliza Acton's "Modern Cookery in all its branches ... for Private Families" available online.

It is at Google Books

http://books.google.com/books?id=5-kDAAAAQ...ookery&as_brr=1

(her English Bread Book is there too)

For some reason the graphics dont always show up when you load it, but you can still download it and it works fine.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

If you love Google Books you'll also love the Internet Archive. Same idea, several other methods of viewing (I love their 'post-it' note version)

It is at http://www.archive.org/index.php

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I didn't even know such a thing as Google Books existed until now.

:shock: Neither did I! What a treasure chest to find! Whew, I wonder where I am going to fit my life in, between eGullet and reading throught all of those books.

Thanks for pointing me there :smile:

(also, what a great solution for people like me, whith a ravenous hunger for reading but only an appartment the size of a stamp to cram all the material in)