• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MxMo XVII

eje

If any of you read (or write) blogs which cover cocktails, you might know that Paul over at Cocktail Chronicles has been organizing a monthly online cocktail event he calls Mixology Mondays.

This month's event is being hosted by Paul on his Cocktail Chronicles blog. The theme is Bring on the Blog Love

To quote Mr. Clarke:

How about dedicating the next round of Mixology Monday to each other. I propose that on Monday, July 16, I’ll host MxMo XVII with the theme: Blog Love. What the hell does this mean, I hear you ask? Actually, it’s quite simple: to participate, simply pick and prepare a drink — an original or a classic, whatever you prefer — that you’ve read about on another person’s blog, and write a post about it, giving a shoutout to the blog where you found it. Should you wish to highlight a couple of favorite drink blogs you visit and tell us why you do, that’d be even better.

If you would like to participate, please write up a cocktail you first read about on a blog or website in this topic before Monday, July 16th at midnight. I will compile a list of cocktails posted and mail them to the organizer.

PS. Mr. Clarke has proposed that eGullet.org be considered an honorary member of the cocktail blogosphere. So if you first read about a cocktail here on eGullet, that's cool, too.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

If there's one blogger who is semi-responsible for my current state of cocktail obsessiveness, it is probably Chuck Taggart over at Gumbo Pages.

I believe it was a random google search for Sazeracs which brought me to his domain.

And his fine writeup of that drink, The Original Sazerac Cocktail, which told me that someone could be a cocktail perfectionist and still be OK.

I raise a virtual Hoskins in honor of Mr. Taggart, a fine citizen, bacon fanatic, and cocktailian.

*  2 ounces Plymouth gin.

* 3/4 ounce Torani Amer (substitute Amer Picon if necessary).

* 1/2 ounce Maraschino liqueur.

* 1/4 ounce Cointreau.

* 1 dash orange bitters.

* Orange peel.

Combine in a mixing glass with cracked ice. Stir for no less than thirty seconds. Strain into a cocktail glass, then flame an orange peel over the drink and garnish with the peel.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I felt terrible and guilty for missing out on this one, since the cocktail blog scene has been such a huge part of my experience, but a series of long nights at work conspired to make me miss the deadline. Nevertheless, I submit the following, no less heartfelt for being a day late:

The other day at work the Sous Chef was going through a box of what turned out to be samples from the Perfect Puree Co. of Napa. The one that cought my eye, of course, was the redcurrant puree. I recall reading somewhere long ago about old-school substitutes for grenadine, including the one we all know and love, raspberry syrup. The other, more elusive syrup mentioned was Sirop de Groiselle, a French (of course -- what do the French do with all these sweet syrups and liqueurs anyway?) redcurrant syrup that seems to not be made or at least imported to the US by anyone anymore. And yet, there has always been a lingering curiosity in the back of the mind. There was about an ounce of puree left in the container from some previous somethingorother the kitchen had been doing and within a few minutes we had turned that into about 4 oz of Sirop de Groiselle. I was so excited. Unfortunately, it lacked the flavor punch I was hoping for, but there was little that could be done about it since that was the last of the puree. And after all that, I still had to rack my brain for a few minutes to think of something to do with it. Since the syrup was very sweet and yet lighter in flavor than would be ideal, not just any drink would work. But after a few minutes I remembered the good ol' Clover Club, as featured on the Cocktail Chronicles, and I mixed one up thusly:

Clover Club (variation)

1.5 oz Gin (Plymouth-- didnt want to overwhelm the syrup)

1/2 fresh eggwhite

juice of 1/2 lemon

generous tsp homemade Sirop de Groiselle

Shake hard with ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass.

Came out very nice, I was actually surprised at how the flavor of the syrup could still be tasted even without the power I was hoping for. Wonderful way to showcase unusual syrup flavors.

Sorry for the late entry, I'll try to plan ahead more next time! :cool:

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Andy, that's pretty cool. I didn't think of perfect purees when I was struggling to find Sirop de Groseille and ended up just using red currant preserves (D'Arbo) instead.

If you've got a little more I'd really recommend trying the Artist's (Special). It's quite a delicious little cocktail.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'll definitely try to liberate the rest of the syrup from work and try the Artist Special. As far as making the syrup goes, the puree is pretty tart by itself, so it needs a good bit of sugar, but try to dilute it as little as possible to maintain the strength of flavor (mine was a little weak). If I was going to do it again I might try making 2:1 syrup in equal amount to the puree I have/am going to use, then once removing from the heat adding the cold or frozen puree to the hot syrup, stirring to integrate and allowing to cool. I would imagine this would sweeten the puree sufficiently to take the tart edge off without diluting the flavor too much.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman