• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork chop sandwiches in Seattle?

Just wondering if anyone has seen pork chop sandwiches on any Seattle menus.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Behold the power of Google:

SILVER FORK

Could there possibly be a better pork-chop sandwich in this town? No; no, there cannot. Here's what you do: First, go to the Silver Fork early on a weekday for a "Good Morning"—that's toast and coffee, just $1.85. (Note the excellent Thermos pot that's left on your table, a self-contained unit, not unlike the can you'll get should you order a pop.) This lets you properly absorb the ambience of this sweet south Rainier establishment before you even begin thinking about the food. Not the decor, which is aggressively functional (low-pile carpet, acoustic-tile ceiling, etc.), but the place. The place and the people. The place and the people and the music (mostly old blues and soul). Come back some other day, grab a newspaper, and then you're ready for that divine sandwich: two fried pork chops, plus white bread, lettuce, and mayo in a delicious sweet-salty compaction, bones and all. Come back another day and order the "!!Soul Burger" (a heavenly bacon cheeseburger with a hot link) or—if it's morning—grits and a couple of biscuits in plain-looking but peppery-good gravy. All of this, and the service is nicer than everybody in your family put together. P.H.

3800 Rainier S., 721-5171. Breakfast, lunch & dinner. Cash and credit. RAINIER VALLEY $

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

SILVER FORK

Could there possibly be a better pork-chop sandwich in this town? No; no, there cannot. Here's what you do: First, go to the Silver Fork early on a weekday for a "Good Morning"—that's toast and coffee, just $1.85. (Note the excellent Thermos pot that's left on your table, a self-contained unit, not unlike the can you'll get should you order a pop.) This lets you properly absorb the ambience of this sweet south Rainier establishment before you even begin thinking about the food. Not the decor, which is aggressively functional (low-pile carpet, acoustic-tile ceiling, etc.), but the place. The place and the people. The place and the people and the music (mostly old blues and soul). Come back some other day, grab a newspaper, and then you're ready for that divine sandwich: two fried pork chops, plus white bread, lettuce, and mayo in a delicious sweet-salty compaction, bones and all. Come back another day and order the "!!Soul Burger" (a heavenly bacon cheeseburger with a hot link) or—if it's morning—grits and a couple of biscuits in plain-looking but peppery-good gravy. All of this, and the service is nicer than everybody in your family put together. P.H.

3800 Rainier S., 721-5171. Breakfast, lunch & dinner. Cash and credit. RAINIER VALLEY $

Okay, I'm intrigued. Has anyone been?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

SILVER FORK

Okay, I'm intrigued. Has anyone been?

Yes, they have awesome biscuits and gravy.

Rocky

• 5 weeks later...
an odd timely quote....i actually have a porkchop sandwich penciled in for the new place. Maybe i better rethink (lol). Seriously, porkchop on bread. That is some good vittles. Cannot go wrong with pork.

Put it on the menu and I'll be there opening day.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons