• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banana-based Party Treat

Khadija

This Saturday, a friend is having a birthday party "cruise" on a boat for her 30th, entitled "This Cruise is Bananas." There will be between 50-70 guests. I want to make some kind of interesting banana-based treat. I'm trying to think of something out of the ordinary, not cake, banana bread, etc.

Originally, I was going to bring bacon candy, and I still like that idea. So, now I'm trying to think of a cool idea that incorporates both bacon and bananas. I am not wedded to the bacon idea, but I do want something that people would not usually expect. Since we will be on a boat, I have to make something that requires no heating or last minute prep. Also, I need to make something that I can prepare a fairly large quantity of.

Bacon and bananas is an awesome combo.

One of my fave sandwiches is some nice whole grain bread with peanut butter, honey, sliced bananas, and crumbled bacon.

You could make tiny party-sandwich versions of these.

You could also wrap large-ish pieces of banana in bacon (probably a half piece) and roast on the grill. I'd imagine that as long as temp was high enough to get the bacon nice and crispy before the bananas turned to mush, it would taste okay at room temp.

I would make banana napoleons or towers. There are many variations; here is one that could be made ahead: banana napoleon with rum cream.

I have successfully made these ahead using the following layers:

--4" phyllo dough squares (layer 4-5 sheets of phyllo dough w/butter and brown sugar between the layers, cut into squares, bake until golden brown & store in tupperware until serving time)

--Sliced bananas sauteed with butter, sugar and rum

--Flavored whipped cream or ice cream

repeat the layers, as desired

garnish with caramel sauce and chopped nuts (or bacon candy!)

Actually, you could probably crumble the bacon candy and put that in between the layers of phyllo, too.

Great ideas, everyone, thanks! I had thought of making Turon, actually, but I was worried about the crust going limp. (I'm in Halifax right now.)

I like the idea of those "Elvis" sandwiches, too. I'm wondering if I could do something like that in a "beggars purse," using commercial wonton skins, which are very stiff and would probably stay crisp.

why not make an old fashioned banana pudding ..you know the kind on hte Nilla wafer box...(people stop rolling eyes)

you add a bit of rum to those wafers and make many layers and it is a very nice triffley dessert ..as long as you keep it cold the longer it sits the better!!! I think the box has eggwhite topping..I just replace that with whipping cream at the last min ..top with fresh strawberries (any berries) at the very last min

(I did not see that anyone else mentioned it but am at work so sorry if this is a repeat)

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I did think of the banana-pudding idea, but I want something a bit out of the ordinary. However, I would prefer something snack-y, and easy to eat out of hand. We are very casual (late twenties to mid thirties crowd) and beer will probably be the drink of choice.

Here's an idea I just had -- bacon/banana carmel corn. I am a stove-top popcorn addict, and make it all the time, usually with sugar and salt (kettle cornish, but less sweet). I could make salty/sweet popcorn or caramel corn and toss in bits of bacon and bits of dried banana chips. Perhaps peanuts as well? I will have to do an experiment to see if this is actually a good idea. I've never made caramel corn. Any good recipes? Tell me if this is a bad idea.

However, I would prefer something snack-y, and easy to eat out of hand.  We are very casual (late twenties to mid thirties crowd) and beer will probably be the drink of choice.

Here's an idea I just had -- bacon/banana carmel corn.  I am a stove-top popcorn addict, and make it all the time, usually with sugar and salt (kettle cornish, but less sweet).  I could make salty/sweet popcorn or caramel corn and toss in bits of bacon and bits of dried banana chips.  Perhaps peanuts as well?  I will have to do an experiment to see if this is actually a good idea.  I've never made caramel corn.  Any good recipes?  Tell me if this is a bad idea.

The more successful caramel corn recipes, IMO, are the ones that are baked slowly in the oven after the syrup is mixed with the corn. Air-popped or popped with minimal oil corn will work better than greasier popcorn.

I don't see why you couldn't add peanuts/banana chips/bacon as long as there is enough syrup to stick it all together.

Banana chips mixed with pecans (or your favorite nuts) and chunks of dried pineapple make a unique "trail-mix" munchy treat. You could mix in some crispy crumbled bacon if you wish.

I have some freeze-dried ones that stay very crispy and have less fat that some brands. The ones at Trader Joe's have the most flavor (in my opinion) but I like them all.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett