• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar Free Ice Cream

Shel_B

Hi,

I'm new to eGullet and this is my first post. I hope I'm posting in the correct forum.

I'm looking for a sugar free or low sugar ice cream (but not low fat or non fat) that can be purchased in the San Francisco, CA area. I've checked numerous markets and have not been able to find any that meet the requirement except for some imported ice cream bars at Trader Joe's. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,

Shel

... Shel

Can you get Edy's in the Bay Area? They've got a slow-churned sugar free with Splenda that isn't too terrible.

Edited by viva (log)

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Can you get Edy's in the Bay Area?  They've got a slow-churned sugar free with Splenda that isn't too terrible.

Well, sort of. Dreyer's is available here and it's essentially the same product, made by the same people. Edy's is the east coat version. The Dreyer's nutritional analysis looks identical to Edy's - both are low fat. I was hoping to get a "fattier" ice cream.

As a paranthetical aside, some fifteen or twenty years ago, maybe more, there used to be an Edy's ice cream parlor in Berkeley and it served Dreyer's ice cream. The place was named after Joe Edy, Bill Dreyer's partner in their ice cream business.

Anyway, thanks for jumping in. I'll give the slow churned Dreyer's a taste test. Maybe they serve it at their retail location, which isn't too far from me.

Kind regards,

Shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Do you get Breyer's (not Dreyer's) out there? They have a sugar-free version which I find more tolerable than the Edy's, which to me always seems to have a weird fake-chemical-cherry aftertaste (even the plain vanilla).

Well it's probably not on the west coast or you'd have found it already.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Do you get Breyer's [...] Well it's probably not on the west coast or you'd have found  it already.

Yes, Breyers is here. I've tried their sugarf ree ice cream and found it - at least in the flavor(s) I tried - to be only so-so. I didn't see any full-fat sugar free versions from Bryers, but I'll look again. The ice cream companies are frequently coming up with new products.

BTW, I remember Breyers from when I was a kid. In those days it was an east coast ice cream, and pretty well regarded IIRC. Now, like Ben & Jerry's, it's just another one of British-based Unilever's products, and the quality has fallen somewhat even over the past couple of years. Still, I'm not looking for artisan quality - just want to find a half way decent sugar free ice cream.

Thanks for jumping in ... I'll be checking the freezer compartment at a local store that carries Breyers and Dreyer's later today or tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Shel

... Shel

Blue Bunny is great! Try Walmart Supercenters.

There's no Blue Bunny ice cream available in my area. The closest possibilty is about 50 miles from my house.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Kind regards,

Shel

... Shel

The Breyers low carb ice cream is pretty good. I like the vanilla. It has a little sugar and a little sugar alcohol, but not enough of either to be bothersome if you have blood sugar issues.

It bothers me that most ice cream places like Coldstone and many gelaterias have only fat free/sugar free types, as if the only people who wanted sugar free ice cream were those on diets.

Yes, Breyers is here.  I've tried their sugarf ree ice cream and found it - at least in the flavor(s) I tried - to be only so-so.  I didn't see any full-fat sugar free versions from Bryers, but I'll look again.  The ice cream companies are frequently coming up with new products.

BTW, I remember Breyers from when I was a kid.  In those days it was an east coast ice cream, and pretty well regarded IIRC.  Now, like Ben & Jerry's, it's just another one of British-based Unilever's products, and the quality has fallen somewhat even over the past couple of years. 

Agree with you there.

My only use for ice cream at home these days is as something to eat with strawberries, blueberries & such. The Breyers vanilla being relatively neutral in flavor, it at least serves that purpose much better than the Edy's. I haven't tried any of the other flavors.

You're also correct that it's labeled as a "Light Ice Cream" & has about half the fat of the regular stuff. I haven't seen any full-fat sugar-free versions either.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

You can also try Safeway Select products. They make one line with aspartame and one line with Splenda; some of the flavors are better than others.

So far, the best sugar-free product we've tried is Dreyer's/Edy's mint chocolate chip. It's not full-fat, though.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

My only use for ice cream at home these days is as something to eat with strawberries, blueberries & such.  The Breyers vanilla being relatively neutral in flavor, it at least serves that purpose much better than the Edy's.  I haven't tried any of the other flavors.

Well, I checked Breyers and Dreyer's this afternoon, and ended up purchasing a container of Dreyer's vanilla bean, mostly because it was on sale. I also liked the idea it is made with Splenda which, I understand, tastes better than aspartame, although I've not tried an aspartame sweetened ice cream yet.

My main reason for wanting the ice cream (such as it is <LOL>) is to make a root beer float. I tried the Dreyer's straight, and it wasn't very good. Had a strange taste to it. Perhaps when it's added to the root beer the two will work together and become more acceptable.

I'm gonna try some A&W sugar free root beer on the recco of a few friends.

FWIW, I sometimes like my berries with a light coating of plain yogurt as a breakfast treat or perhaps as a mid-day snack.

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Shel

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...

No offense, really (I definitely enjoy the Slow Churned from dreyers/edys as my "everyday" ice-cream, and yes, they are the same company, now owned by Nestle Nutritionals), but low-carb/no sugar is really, REALLY, pushing it. It's Ice-cream. It's supposed to be bad for you. If you want a "healthy" option, just buy an all fruit sorbet or a soy-cream. If you need the "diet" version, you probably shouldn't be eating it anyway, and I say just go out and buy a piece of fruit, it tastes better, there aren't any chemicals, and they have fiber to help fill you up. Trust me, after 3 or 4 peaches, you won't want to eat a tub of icecream.

P.S. If you're diabetic, consider making you're own at home using Agave nectar, which has a lower glycemic index that sugar and especially corn syrup.

No offense, really (I definitely enjoy the Slow Churned from dreyers/edys as my "everyday" ice-cream, and yes, they are the same company, now owned by Nestle Nutritionals), but low-carb/no sugar is really, REALLY, pushing it.  It's Ice-cream.  It's supposed to be bad for you.  If you want a "healthy" option, just buy an all fruit sorbet or a soy-cream.  If you need the "diet" version, you probably shouldn't be eating it anyway, and I say just go out and buy a piece of fruit, it tastes better, there aren't any chemicals, and they have fiber to help fill you up.  Trust me, after 3 or 4 peaches, you won't want to eat a tub of icecream.

P.S. If you're diabetic, consider making you're own at home using Agave nectar, which has a lower glycemic index that sugar and especially corn syrup.

I really don't need a lecture ... and I didn't ask for low carb/no sugar, just to set the record straight

Shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I'm not quite sure what to think of the response "If you need the "diet" version, you probably shouldn't be eating it anyway." Or actually, most of that post. :hmmm:

I recently tried the Breyers no sugar added, low fat ice cream. It wasn't bad. I think that's what it's called--it's in a white container. The low carb stuff is in a black container. I haven't tried Dreyers yet.

• 4 weeks later...