• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying live blue crabs in the Triangle

Can someone recommend a reliable place to purchase a bushel of live, #1 Jimmie's within 50 or so miles of the Triangle? I would like to avoid driving to the coast if at all possible.

Any experience you've had (good or bad) would be appreciated!

Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit. -Oscar Wilde

I've always been able to good crabs at Capital Seafood that's just across Lake Wheeler Rd. from the NC State Farmer's Market in Raleigh.

Dean, your words hold weight, my friend. I called Capital Seafood before I posted; the gentleman quoted $150/bushel, but said he couldn't guarantee if they "all arrived dead." I expect a few dead ones, but all would be bad :huh:

I bought the bushel of live #1 Jimmies from The Sea Depot, at the corner of Chatham and Maynard in Cary. The crabs were excellent, heavy and big. There were a fair amount of dead ones when I first sorted them (about a dozen), but the crabs were delivered on Friday instead of Saturday due to a personal issue with the crabber. Lee, the owner, said that was a freak occurrence and that I could expect the crabs to come on Saturday every time I order them from now on.

The crabs were $110 a bushel, with a deposit required (cash preferred), but that price may change depending on the time of year and supply. I will definitely order from the Sea Depot again for hard shells.

• 4 months later...