• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife block for 10" Chef

Matt_T

I'm looking for a new knife block to house my growing collection. We tend to collect knives as I enjoy trying different styles, and my wife has 3 knives that she uses exclusively (mine are dangerously sharp, she says. Yes, I've tried to tell her.)

Need a little help as most of the blocks at the stores are either too short or have slots too narrow for my big 10" chef's knife with a hair over 2 1/8" heel. I found this one online and wondering if anyone has it and can confirm that the top slot is big enough: Messermeister knife block

Other suggestions are also welcome. Required features are a long cleaver slot for a chinese cleaver, and at least three wide slots for the big chef, santuko, and guyoto. At least 4 more slots for medium-sized knives. Steak knife slots are useful (I use those slots for our plethora of paring knives). Price hopefully under $50!

I've considered a magnet as the obvious solution for the big knives but can't find a good place in my kitchen to mount one.

Thanks,

MT

---------------

Matt T

Ever since I looked at the crud that had accumulated in the slots and under the block (and due to counter space and kid safety constraints), I have been using a magnetic strip, bolted to the wall. I love it. I'm not so sure how sanitary a knife block is, but I could be wrong.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I love my knife blocks. I have two of these, the only difference being that the one at home sits on a swivel base which is great for the place I have it located in. It has room for steak knives, a 10 and 8 inch chef's knife, and much more. I don't seem to have a problem with gunk accumulating.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I bought a Kapoosh but am going to return it. Too much of the edge of the 10" sticks out for me to consider it safe. I think it's really meant for 8" knives.

As far as gunk in the slots....I have seen some people place unwashed knives in blocks while they're cooking. Mine don't go back into the block until they've been washed and dried. If you do put dirty knives in the block (I could see doing it if, say, I had kids helping around the kitchen), one nice thing about the Kapoosh is that the plastic insert that holds the knives is removeable and dishwasher safe.

On the subject of food being tough on the edge....I've noticed a few blocks where the slots are oriented vertically so that knives rest on their edges, which seems like a bad idea. I guess you could rest the knife on its spine but then you have to adjust your grip after drawing it, which is less than ideal. My old block had horizontal slots, and I was careful to insert and withdraw knives so that the spine ran along the wood, rather than the edge. I'll look for the same design in whatever block I find.

$20 bucks, huh? Let's see what they've got on Ebay....

MT

[eddited fur speling]

Edited by Matt_T (log)

---------------

Matt T

I bought a Kapoosh but am going to return it.  Too much of the edge of the 10" sticks out for me to consider it safe.  I think it's really meant for 8" knives.

Hmm. I've got several 10-inchers and one that's around 12. Part of the edge does stick out, but I never thought of this as dangerous (certainly no more dangerous than a knife magnet where the entire edge is exposed).

--

If I push the tip of my 10" as far into the Kapoosh as it will go (which I'm not happy doing in the first place), about 2" of the edge remains exposed. And it's right in there amongst the handles on my smaller knives....on a magnet at least the edges are generally facing away from the handles. I could probably get used to it but don't see the point of introducing that kind of hazard into the kitchen when there are other options.

Another thing I don't like about the Kapoosh is that it's possible for one knife's edge to contact the spines of other knives.

MT

Edited by Matt_T (log)

---------------

Matt T

you may want to give This One a look . Im fairly sure it will take a 10" chefs knife with no problem since it was once sold as part of a set that inclueded a 10" chefs knife, but Id give them a call to make sure. ( 1 800 255 9034 ) AG Russell is a pretty helpfull company over the phone.

I second your Observations on the ' Crap oosh " knife block.. not only will it not take a 10" blade, but it takes a good amount of force to get my 8" Henkels in far enough to fully cover the edge

Its currently used for my growing collection of kitchen shears and some paring knives, and if it keeps shedding plastic bristles its going to wind up in the garage holding garden tools.

If all else fails you may want to consider an in drawer knife holder, but it will cost you some drawer space...

Edited by KLwood (log)

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

you may want to give  This One    a look.

Darn! I'm trying to not be looking for new kitchen stuff right now...

This block may end up on my birthday/Christmas wish list. It would get my cleaver out of the drawer and give me space for my new slicer as well. I REALLY like the idea that I can run it through the dishwasher. Although our kitchen is of modest size we already have 2 knife blocks in it - one for the knives my wife uses and one for my knives. Do I dare exchange one of the existing ones and use up more counter space? Ah the dilemas that reality foists upon us!

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I just picked up this Wusthof block on Ebay. A sight more than twenty bucks, but a good discount off the same item on Amazon.com. And after selling my old block prematurely at a garage sale last weekend (I thought I had a replacement in the Kapoosh), I need a home for my knives!

Matt

---------------

Matt T

I think you'll really like it, Matt. Mine's a 25 knife block, but there is certainly room for your 10 inch chef's and your cleaver and lots of other knives. I love mine.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Unless you find one that you can live with or make one yourself, Brion Keagle will be your best and most flexible bet. Any size slots, any number of slots, any length...completely and 100% custom. You can either buy an existing block or have one mdae to your specs. Great stuff.

http://keaglecutlery.com/index.htm

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Received my Wusthof model 7263 22-slot block today. I was eager to see it as I had read in a review (at Amazon I think) that it would not take cleavers longer than 6", but that turns out to be incorrect - my wife's 7" Chinese cleaver fits with room to spare, and even 8" would be ok. The largest top slot would take a 11.5" blade with 2.7" heel, and my "oversized" 10" chef with 2.2" heel actually fits fine in the second row. 8" filet and bread knives fit in the third row.... in a flash I've gone from having badly outgrown my old block to having room for new additions to the collection.

A nice block for people with an assortment of knives. Fit and finish is not perfect but pretty good, better than my old $20 "Henckels" branded block from the kitchen outlet store. The new block a good value I think at $40 plus shipping on Ebay.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

MT

[edited after I double checked the slot sizes with a ruler]

Edited by Matt_T (log)

---------------

Matt T