• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Out of the mouths of babes . . .

We always enjoyed (and still enjoy) pasghetti and meatballs!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had one friend whose childhood term for the above-referenced pasta item sounded more like "piss-getti"! (with appropriate amounts of childish giggling). And when my kid sister was very young, it was just "sketties."

Another one from childhood: "sparrow-grass."

My friend John M. tells a story of his childhood.

John had a bit of a lisp as a kid, and when he'd go to his friend Alan's house where they had a lovely Baby Grand, he'd ask Alan's Mom,

"May I please play the piano?"

Her response was, inevitably,

"Why, John, of COURSE you can have a banana!" :huh::shock:

(She thought he was such a polite little boy :wink: )

I had one friend whose childhood term for the above-referenced pasta item sounded more like "piss-getti"! (with appropriate amounts of childish giggling). And when my kid sister was very young, it was just "sketties."

Another one from childhood: "sparrow-grass."

It's interestinng how this thread and the Kitchen Language thread happen to be so very, very similar.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

My GS Zack is almost four, and although his language skills have improved markedly over the past year, he still has some unusual ways of naming and categorizing foodstuffs.

Anything roundish, reddish and foodish was always "appo", including tomatos. Even though they had the same name, he loves apples but wouldn't eat tomatos, at least until they're made into sauce and combined with anything including melted cheese, which becomes "pizzi".

He also loved ketchup, which he applied liberally to any kind of meat and called it all "tukey". Lately ketchup has been supplanted as his favorite condiment by "wanch".

It's been kind of fun, and I'll miss it when he's learned to talk better.

SB (luckily his sister, Baby Jenna, should start "talking" about then :biggrin: )

Edited by srhcb (log)

my baby sister and my mother were in the grocery store when she started screaming : "baby jesus." My mother who raised with no religion whatsoever thought maybe it was time to talk about all the different types of beliefs in the world. So of course she starts rambling off about Baby Jesus and all. Well my sister took off running and grabbed a package of Bonneybell cheeses and brought it back to my mother. : Baby Jesus. (baby cheeses.)

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

when my son was about 3 he would come home from his friend's place (in Hong Kong) and ask me for 'one woolies'...which took me a while to transmogrify into 'wah mui' (salted preserved plums)

ps. they do get a bit wooly if you put them in your pocket :smile:

Edited by insomniac (log)

Me, from my childhood:

"Rock gornisht game hen." (Gornisht is Yiddish for "nothing" -- presumably because the bird is so small compared to a "real" chicken.)

Michael aka "Pan"

From my son when he was little. Beef Stroganoff = honeys and rice. I have no idea why. :unsure:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My 5 yo asks for "skettis and meatballs without the meatballs". :huh:

Apparently one day I called her a goober at the same time I was giving her ranch dressing. Now ranch dressing is "goober sauce". She asked me for goober sauce for her carrots. She finally had to get up on a chair in front of the fridge to show me what she meant.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

A few we've noted lately:

Minnows = tomatoes

Dunkles = dumplings

Cook-cook = cookie

Black-bear-bears = blackberries

Straw-bear-bears = strawberries

(and so on for various berries)

Big-kiss = brisket

Foon = spoon

Ficy = spicy

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

hangaburger

opatus

For a longtime, cowjuice was 'nilk' and mango juice was 'mangle juice'.

I wish I'd written more of them down.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Godmothers down my way are often called "Nanny" by their godchildren. My first name is Patti, hence, I am Nanny Patti to a nephew or two. When one such nephew was visiting my mother (his grandmother), she asked him what he wanted to have for supper. Imagine her surprise when he insisted that she cook some Nanny meat. It took her awhile to figure out that Nanny meat = hamburger patty.

A few years later, she was taken aback when my toddler son asked for some Maw Maw milk. She knew that when I breastfed him, we referred to it as Mommy milk, so she was afraid he expected her to breastfeed him. Much to her relief, he pointed to the milk container in her fridge. He was smart enough to know that MawMaw milk came from a different container than Mommy milk!

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

When my son was quite young, he called the Duck Sauce in Chinese restaurants (it's an east coast thing for you folks in San Francisco) boy sauce since only little boys ate it (because the adults wanted the hot mustard) on their egg rolls.

Edited by dinwiddie (log)

my boys when they were little

hamburgers = hanga burrs

pea soup=poop soup

if they saw breastfeeding babies= "look that baby's got some mommy munchies!!"

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

In my husband's family, hamburger was "hangamer" and (later) the broccoli chicken casserole was dubbed "brock&chickoli shit."

Husband and I usually refer to mustard (as on the grocery list) as "moo-tard." (usually cuz it's dijon).

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I used to prepare mock cocktails for the kids when we had company, consisting of a light colored soft drink or orange juice with grenadine added. My daughter referred to these drinks as "children's booze".

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali