• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavor-Ice...summer guilty pleasure

LindsayAnn

I made a special stop at Walgreens at 12:05 AM (at night, but actually morning to be politically correct) after a night out with the girls to pick up two boxes so that they would be ready at my return from the beach today.

I love the stuff...anyone else?

Sugar, flavoring, fake-ness all sealed in clear tubs to be frozen and eaten as they thaw into slushy yumminess.

I down about 10 each time I go to have ONE. Then, I take a break, and eat a bunch more.

I made the HUGE mistake of picking up the 'Light', which are the sugar free ones the other week. So bad. The flavor sucks, and the texture is sooo far off. Calorie wise its a huge savor, but I threw them all out. So bad that the low-cal-ness doesn't end up making up for crap in my opinion! HAHA

Favorite flavors are:

1.) Tied for first, green and purple (lime and grape)

2.) Orange

3.) Pink (not sure the flavor)

4.) Red - Cherry I am guessing

5.) Blue - blue rasberry I presume...

Those are the flavors in the "original flavor box". There is a tropical box out there but I do not like them as much. I believe they have banana, coconut, and various others.

P.S. Whole foods carries (USED TO CARRY, they have been out for about 2 months and they keep saying "the manufacturer is backed up, not sure when they will be in but soon....um year two months and going) a brand called Cool Fruits...also in a box and the individual tubs are clear. They are much pricier, and only come in two flavors...grape and cherry (both in the same box). Their texture is SUPER and I love them (they are smaller though, so I have to eat that many more)....I miss them. I want them back...of my Cool Fruits where are you?

Anyway - sorry to blah on....what is your opinion of flavor-ice. If you do not like there was a time, certainly, when you were a wee-toddler, child, teen when you enjoyed these....or am I wrong? And, if so, do you still like them? Why or why not? Any childhood memories of these? Mine - I always ate them at the local pools (they were for sale) and at friends houses...my mom would never by them...too much sugar she said. I suppose I am making up for any loses that I experienced during my adolescence. By now its gotta have evened out...haha. Also, , my best friend (still is) Amy always had these at her house when we were kids. Her father worked for the Flavor-Ice company....I loved it. She lived in my neighborhood. I made out! And no - this is NOT why we became best friends. I am not that shallow. Haha :)

Now your turn to blah-blah and share...please take the stage:

YUMMY YUMMY.

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Oh! I love them! I used to buy them when I was a kid - the local candy store charged a dime for them, which was the cheapest frozen thing you could buy. My folks never bought them for the house - they went for the Popsicle Brand Twin Pops, which were also a fine thing, but I will always be loyal to Flavor-Ice. My favorite flavor is orange. And you're absolutely right that the sugar-free ones are NO SUBSTITUTE.

I have some in the freezer right now - officially they're for the 4-year-old, but I sneak one every so often.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Yup, that was it Jelsert - that is where Amy's dad worked at.

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

She also always had TONS of Mondo drinks at her house - always stocked - always free in unlimited quantities for her family. Haha

My new re-discovered summer pleasure are those Sno-cones! I found them after about 40 years at a large market in Lancaster, PA. Haven't had one since I was about 10.

These are those shaved iced things served in a cone-shaped paper cup. Now whenever I see one at a festival, I just HAVE to have one. but they're not 10¢ any more.

Susan

We're visiting my #1Boy's family right now. His father has stocked the freezer with an 80 count package of IceGirl pops for my daughter to enjoy during her visit. They're from a chain of off price stores named Save-A-Lot. I haven't been there, but I am assuming that everything is very inexpensive, since my host is an inveterate seeker of the lowest price for anything. Kiddle says that these pops are good, if you stick to the blue ones. She has never had this genre of frozen fun before, and she's almost 18. I feel like a terrific ogre of a mom. :wink:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

http://www.jelsert.com/faq_otter.asp

They are all made by ONE company

Reading the corporate history off of that website really appealed to my wacky sense of humor. Apparently Jelsert just kept acquiring other companies making those little frozen tubes of sweet stuff until they've wound up pretty much cornering the US market--they keep separate brand-names like Otter Pops going because they have strong regional followings. And somewhere in there they even developed a "freezer bar" type product just for dogs! (scroll down) Mmmm ... beef and cheese ice! :laugh:

I think the brand I knew when I was a kid growing up in the New York suburbs was Pop-Ice (Jel-sert apparently owns that one now too). I did eat them back then, but I thought of them as low man on the totem pole of frozen treats--the one I really craved was Good Humor's Chocolate Eclair ice cream pops. Heh. Even as a child I was a food snob. :laugh:

They're freezies around here. When I was in school, my friends and I would get off the bus on our way home from school 2 stops before our regular stop so that we could buy them to enjoy on the walk home. They had these giant freezies - they had to be about 18" long. Lasted all the way home.

Apparently, in Canada it's Kisko that has the monopoly. But I usually get some of Flavor-Ice ones for my store (waiting on a shipment now). We keep them on the shelves, but try to keep one box in the freezer to give out to kids when they come in with their parents. We also bring in coffee-flavour freeze-pops - the adult version.

What? I WANT coffee flavored one. I love coffee. Love it. I love ice-pops. Love em'. Put them together...and I want badly!!!

They're freezies around here.  When I was in school, my friends and I would get off the bus on our way home from school 2 stops before our regular stop so that we could buy them to enjoy on the walk home. They had these giant freezies - they had to be about 18" long.  Lasted all the way home.

Apparently, in Canada it's Kisko that has the monopoly.  But I usually get some of Flavor-Ice ones for my store (waiting on a shipment now).  We keep them on the shelves, but try to keep one box in the freezer to give out to kids when they come in with their parents.  We also bring in coffee-flavour freeze-pops - the adult version.

we buy up extra boxes of these in the summer & then give them away at halloween instead of cand. i love watching the kids faces - 'oh MAN!! we got FREEZE POPS!!' :biggrin:

This is a STELLAR idea! I'm adopting it this year. THANK YOU!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

We keep the bottom bin of the freezer packed with them during the summertime. It's a cheap refreshment for when the neighborhood kids storm the house after playing in the backyard, and I always get one or two after mowing or working the garden.

I don't really have a tremendous preference of one color over another, although if you held me down and forced me to choose, I'd probably go with green flavor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I'll save up all my orange, yellow and green ones and trade 'em for pink/red, purple and blue. :wink:

btw - I checked the box of coffee ones - they are called 'Columbia' and made be jelsert.

I loved them as a kid, but they always made the back of my throat "itchy" (for complete lack of a better term) feeling! Am I the only one? (Probably... sigh.)

I love the idea of giving them out for Halloween!

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

You're not the only one.  Some of them can be a little itchy.  I choose not to think about it.

Agreed! We shall not speak of it again! :laugh:

(And I'm so thankful I'm not the only one!!)

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

I made the HUGE mistake of picking up the 'Light', which are the sugar free ones the other week. So bad. The flavor sucks, and the texture is sooo far off. Calorie wise its a huge savor, but I threw them all out. So bad that the low-cal-ness doesn't end up making up for crap in my opinion! HAHA

This morning I had a Wyler's Light Sorbet Bar and now I'm having the raspberry. These are 'sugar free' and actually quite good (they do have 35 calories each).

I'm gong to make my way through the 5 varieties I have here (sorbet bars, coffee, fudge, regular, no sugar added regular).

It's hot here.