• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines and labels in Ratatouille

luizhorta

Watched the movie yesterday and noticed that Anton Ego, the critic, asks for a Chèval Blanc 47 but what appears in his table is (for my eyes) a Lafite bottle. Anyone to confirm it? Or shall I get new glasses?

Watched the movie yesterday and noticed that Anton Ego, the critic, asks for a Chèval Blanc 47 but what appears in his table is (for my eyes) a Lafite bottle. Anyone to confirm it? Or shall I get new glasses?

I do recall seeing Lafite, but think that he was told that they were out of the Cheval Blanc.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Right! That's it! Thanks.

I do recall seeing Lafite, but think that he was told that they were out of the Cheval Blanc.

Alas, one of the few faults in the film…..for unless ordered in magnum format, the two wines in question, no matter how great in the past, are now well beyond their peak and surely lacking the greatness of yore. My most recent tasting notes for both wines follow.

Chateau Cheval Blanc, St. Emilion, 1947: During its youth – that is to say, up until its 50th year – this was beyond question one of the greatest wines ever made. My own first tasting was in 1980 when I wrote that the wine was full bodied and unctuous, balanced exquisitely, with abundant but well rounded tannins and plenty of spices, black fruits, leather and hints of mocha. My second tasting in 1990 showed the wine still remarkably young, with a length and width and were enviable, and with all of its charms intact. Drinking the wine now was both a glory and a sadness, for the wine is now beyond its peak and shows only hints of the “glory that once was”. Still alive and with good fruits but now a bit flabby and tired, the wine should be consumed in the near future. (First tasting 12 Apr 1980 – Score 100; Second tasting 30 Oct 1990 – Score 98+. Most recent tasting 13 Jan 1999. I will not score the wine as that would be an insult to its greatness.)

Chateau Lafite Rothschild, Pauillac, 1947: Tasted three times, once from magnum format and twice from standard bottles, in each case showing that this once superb wine is now growing tired, showing “the toils and tribulations of aging”. Now showing herbal, earthy and tobacco flavors but those yielding in the glass as the wine sings its swan’s song to reveal cherry and berry fruits, those holding only for a few minutes and giving a hint of past glory. As a reminder of great days gone by, marvelous, but most assuredly not for further cellaring. No score assigned. (Re-tasted 23 Feb 2000)

Alas, one of the few faults in the film…..for unless ordered in magnum format, the two wines in question, no matter how great in the past, are now well beyond their peak and surely lacking the greatness of yore.  My most recent tasting notes for both wines follow.

Chateau Cheval Blanc, St. Emilion, 1947: During its youth – that is to say, up until its 50th year – this was beyond question one of the greatest wines ever made. My own first tasting was in 1980 when I wrote that the wine was full bodied and unctuous, balanced exquisitely, with abundant but well rounded tannins and plenty of spices, black fruits, leather and hints of mocha. My second tasting in 1990 showed the wine still remarkably young, with a length and width and were enviable, and with all of its charms intact. Drinking the wine now was both a glory and a sadness, for the wine is now beyond its peak and shows only hints of the “glory that once was”. Still alive and with good fruits but now a bit flabby and tired, the wine should be consumed in the near future. (First tasting 12 Apr 1980 – Score 100; Second tasting 30 Oct 1990 – Score 98+. Most recent tasting 13 Jan 1999. I will not score the wine as that would be an insult to its greatness.)

Chateau Lafite Rothschild, Pauillac, 1947: Tasted three times, once from magnum format and twice from standard bottles, in each case showing that this once superb wine is now growing tired, showing “the toils and tribulations of aging”. Now showing herbal, earthy and tobacco flavors but those yielding in the glass as the wine sings its swan’s song to reveal cherry and berry fruits, those holding only for a few minutes and giving a hint of past glory. As a reminder of great days gone by, marvelous, but most assuredly not for further cellaring. No score assigned. (Re-tasted 23 Feb 2000)

Ahhh...I believe the Lafite he was eventually served was a '61, though. (Or was that the LaTour?).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

The Cheval never appeared, it was a Latour '61 and a Lafite, whose vintage is not visible, or not mentioned either. The Cheval, as Docsonz explained, was asked but the restaurant had no bottles.

Alas, one of the few faults in the film…..for unless ordered in magnum format, the two wines in question, no matter how great in the past, are now well beyond their peak and surely lacking the greatness of yore.  My most recent tasting notes for both wines follow.

Ahhh...I believe the Lafite he was eventually served was a '61, though. (Or was that the LaTour?).

Yep and next time I discuss the movie with non foodie friends I'm going to quote this thread! :raz:

Seriously-I'm a full fledged foodie and know a little about wine(enough to recognize the names, Cheval Blanc, Lafite and Latour anyway) but I'm not as educated as Daniel Rogov.

I think the e-gulleteers saw a different movie than a lot of the people in the theaters.

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

It's quite evident, just make an image search of a Cheval Blanc and a Lafite label. Then you will see in the movie, that is very realistic in depising the bottles.

Yep and next time I discuss the movie with non foodie friends I'm going to quote this thread!  :raz:

Seriously-I'm a full fledged foodie and know a little about wine(enough to recognize the names, Cheval Blanc, Lafite and Latour anyway) but I'm not as educated as Daniel Rogov.

I think the e-gulleteers saw a different movie than a lot of the people in the theaters.

Well, if that was the 1961 (either the Lafite or the Latour), I can only regret that I am not a cartoon character.

Chateau Lafite Rothschild, Pauillac 1961: So full bodied you might think it was a solid rather than a liquid, but with such impeccable balance that you cannot question its greatness, this dark and concentrated wine goes on and on with its black currant flavors and now, in place of the cinnamon that was once found, a blend of mocha and tobacco. Exquisite! Drink now-2020. Score 96. (Re-tasted 15 May 2002)

Chateau Latour, Pauillac, 1961: One of those rare wines that cannot possibly be better. Full bodied and powerful but with remarkable structure and balance, the wine is drinking beautifully now, revealing well ingegrated fruits (black currants, plums and huckleberries), wood (hickory and cedar) and minerals and just now developing the long-anticipated herbal overtones. I have referred to this wine as majestic in the past. I salute it once again. Drink now – 2025 or 2030. Score 100. (Re-tasted 15 May 2002)

I'm quite surprised there hasn't been more of an uproar from the bible belt about alcohol being in the movie in the first place. Unless they are still boycotting Disney for whatever.

Disney has never been known for being historically accurate. Pocahontas has been decried for years. Just the fact that you have a talking rat with a palate should cause the suspension of belief that makes cartoons so great.

Back to my original point. It's a cartoon. If physics don't apply, any other form of serious study falls apart. Neat that they mentioned the wine and tried to be accurate with the labels, but in the end, it's still a cartoon. It's supposed to be fun.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

And I am having fun! In fact I've posted the thread in the french forum, where people tend to be more full of savoir vivre, but the moderator moved it here, 'cause the movie is not due to show in paris till august.

I'm quite surprised there hasn't been more of an uproar from the bible belt about alcohol being in the movie in the first place. Unless they are still boycotting Disney for whatever.

Disney has never been known for being historically accurate. Pocahontas has been decried for years. Just the fact that you have a talking rat with a palate should cause the suspension of belief that makes cartoons so great.

Back to my original point. It's a cartoon. If physics don't apply, any other form of serious study falls apart. Neat that they mentioned the wine and tried to be accurate with the labels, but in the end, it's still a cartoon. It's supposed to be fun.

As one living in the bible belt. . .but not of the persuasion that would cause me to become upset about wine in the movie. . .I thought I'd tell you that just this weekend, we were finally able to purchase alcoholic beverages on Sunday (from liquor stores, etc. We've been able to purchase alcohol in bars for several years now). For the first time, ever. (Well, "legally" ever, anyway.) Those who are upset over the use of alcoholic beverages are probably worrying about the local issues. In this community, anyway. :biggrin: