• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baltimore Pit Beef

I love Baltimore pit beef. Anyone have any recipes? I have the meat, the wood chips, I'm just not sure about the rub. Any help?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I'm no expert on this style of BBQ (although I live 25 miles south of Baltimore). Most of the pit beef I've had over the years ended up being somewhat dry. The Canopy location in Glen Burnie used to be very good, their medium rare was always moist. The other Canopy locations couldn't do it.

Here's a NY Times article with a recipe:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...agewanted=print

I used turbano sugar and a hefty dose of smoked paprika in addition to the ingedients in the recipes. I actually put the rub together before I saw the recipe.

I grilled it on all sides and wrapped it up in a few layers of foil and let it cook until it reached 135 then it let rest. It was moist smokey and very tasty. The kids loved it. I will make it again.

--------------------

a large top round I trimmed of silver skin and fat then tied so it would be the same shape and cook evenly

--------------------

Do you think it would work with a chuck roast? I took the last roast of my winter supply out of the freezer this morning, thinking I'd grind it up and make burgers for dinner.

Then you came along with this Baltimore pit beef idea...

Maybe the chuck wouldn't slice well though. Hmmmm...