• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Post Wedding Ceremony Meal in Brooklyn

mascarpone

I would like any advice on a restaurant for a post wedding lunch in the Park Slope Area (or thereabouts). I expect between 12 to fifteen will constitute the party: probably nice French, New American, or Italian. The wedding will be in mid August near the Brooklyn Museum/BBG. Sorry to be vague, but the details are gradually materializing, and I really don’t know the area that well.

Tempo (northern Italian, 5th Ave. at Carroll Street) would suit your purposes, and they have a larger room to the side that’s often used for private parties. Stone Park Café (new American, 5th Ave. at 3rd Street) would also suit. I don’t know what they’d charge pp for something like this – you’d have to check.

The Chinese restaurants of Park Slope are of the pink tablecloth variety, and unfortunately, I’ve found the French restaurants (Moutarde and Belleville) to be iffy and inconsistent. I haven’t eaten at Cocotte, perhaps they’re better.

Another possibility would be Applewood (11th Street near 7th Ave). I don’t think that Al di La, perhaps the most beloved of the Park Slope restaurants, would do something like this – they don’t even take reservations.

Good luck!

Cocotte is pretty iffy as well. H's other recommendations are my favorites in that neighborhood too - I've found Applewood and Stone Park to have excellent food. I was just at Tempo a couple of weeks ago and thought it was very good (and very reasonably priced) - and they have more space to work with.

Another possibility - Convivium Osteria on 5th Avenue, closer to Flatbush. It has a very pretty room that would suit the romance of the occasion. They serve mediterranean food (Italian, Spanish, Portugese influences).

I don't think Tempo is open for lunch (don't know about Applewood), so they might still be game for something like this. Did you speak with them? Stone Park Cafe would be out - their weekend brunch service is a big thing.

ETA: The reason I suggested Tempo is that I live near there, and have seen special occasion events happening inside - as I said, they've got that one big room. I'm not pushing them, I'm just trying to make you aware that they of all the Park Slope restaurants seem to be geared to do what you're looking for.

Edited by H. du Bois (log)

Another possibility - Convivium Osteria on 5th Avenue, closer to Flatbush.  It has a very pretty room that would suit the romance of the occasion.  They serve mediterranean food (Italian, Spanish, Portugese influences). 

I don't think Tempo is open for lunch (don't know about Applewood), so they might still be game for something like this.  Did you speak with them?  Stone Park Cafe would be out - their weekend brunch service is a big thing.

ETA:  The reason I suggested Tempo is that I live near there, and have seen special occasion events happening inside - as I said, they've got that one big room.  I'm not pushing them, I'm just trying to make you aware that they of all the Park Slope restaurants seem to be geared to do what you're looking for.

Thanks for the info, H. du Bois!

This afternoon I went and had a look-see at Bacchus and Scottadito Osteria Toscano.

Bacchus looked like it was the establishment with the most mileage; it was charming, albeit a bit worn. The woman I spoke to about the reservation was really off-putting. I was shown the covered patio by a more hospitable woman, who explained that they would clean it up for the party. There was a motorcycle parked and several misc. tables and chairs were scattered about.

The facility at Scottadito Osteria Toscano was much newer, and presentable. There is a wine cellar which could comfortably accommodate 15-20 persons in a more intimate setting. I think this would be preferable acoustically to the upstairs dining area, as I noticed it was somewhat live with the stone floors.

Of course, I have not experience with the food at either. I found the Scottadito Osteria at Savethedate.com. It fits the proposed budget.

This afternoon I went and had a look-see at Bacchus and Scottadito Osteria Toscano.

Bacchus looked like it was the establishment with the most mileage; it was charming, albeit a bit worn. The woman I spoke to about the reservation was really off-putting. I was shown the covered patio by a more hospitable woman, who explained that they would clean it up for  the party. There was a motorcycle parked and several misc. tables and chairs were scattered about.

The facility at Scottadito Osteria Toscano was much newer, and presentable. There is a wine cellar which could comfortably accommodate 15-20 persons in a more intimate setting. I think this would be preferable acoustically to the upstairs dining area, as I noticed it was somewhat live with the stone floors.

Of course, I have not experience with the food at either. I found the Scottadito Osteria at Savethedate.com. It fits the proposed budget.

Funny enough I am likely going to book Scottadito for a rehearsal dinner myself in September... there are few places in park slope or nearby that can accomodate a group of 30 for such a family/group dinner without issues.

Scottadito though seems to have a plan and space for such groups.

I tried smaller restaurants but it is tough to take over someone's whole place on a thursday night in such highly trafficked residential neighorhoods like Park Slope, Carroll Gardens etc.

The manager was pretty friendly and the food seems authentic and they are going to do up family style for us which is what I want so no one is distracted by menus and prices.

Cheers

mjr

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I had dinner there last night with the bride, and we both liked it. We had a special app.; roasted red pepper stuffed with mozzarella and prosciutto on top of greens, which was excellent. The flavor of the vegetables was very strong, indicating their freshness (according to people I have spoken with, they use organic foods, which makes sense, as they are right next door to the Park Slope Food Co-op).

We had two pastas for the Primi: I had the Rigatoni Scottadito; Artisanal Pasta with house made turkey sausage, green peas in a pink vodka sauce and shaved parmigiano cheese ($15). She had the Orechhiette Ale Verdure; house made pasta with zucchini, eggplant, asan marzano tomatoes and ricotta salsa ($10). One notable point of the presentation was that the pasta was served piping hot, & freshly grated parmigiano and ground pepper were offered and excepted with the app. and primi. I enjoyed my rigatoni; however, the Orcchiette was really great due to the texture of the pasta, the intense flavor of the fresh vegetables, and the tangy San Marzano.

We had a pleasant Tiramisu for dessert, which was served in a large white coffee mug. The bill came to $48 dollars without wine (we abstained). The service was very warm and attentive.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday we had a post nuptial family style dinner at Scottadito Osteria Toscana. It started at 12:30 PM and ended at 5:30 PM. The service was excellent, the food was impeccable, and the space, the wine cellar, was perfect for the party (15) that attended the dinner. We did the $45 plus $15 beverage supplement. This was an extraordinary bargain, considering that the party of 15 drank enough Miamosas, wine, and beer to put the restaurant out of business (seriously, I think they must have lost a considerable sum due to the quantity of alcohol consumed). As a result of the alcohol, the toasting turned into a raucous roasting.

At any rate, we started with drinks and olives, which were followed by bread, and then bruchetta spread with a olive/eggplant tapenade that was outstanding. We had ear pasta with eggplant, basil and tomato, and parmagiano; and also tagliatelle with brie, basil and speck; delicious.

The second course was salmon and chicken with vegetables; very tasty, but everyone was so sated with previous courses and alcohol, much of this course was untouched. They packed it for my wife and I; we will be eating it for lunch for a week.

All the produce was organic; the pasta was cooked to perfection. The meal was leisurely paced, and the intimate setting of the wine cellar was ideal for the occasion.

A large Tiramisu cake was made and displayed to polite applause, before it was devoured with the assistance of coffee/ biscotti.

At the very end, when everyone was about to stand up and say a final congrats, we were served Lemoncello (sp?) to restore the palate.

There were two Italian-Americans in our party. One, my bother-in-law, remarked that, although he normally does not like to dine at Italian restaurants, he was very impressed at the authenticity and quality of the food, much of which, during the course of the meal, he made references such as," my mother made it much like this."

Edited by mascarpone (log)

I forgot to mention, that the bill came to $1,100.00 before tip.

Marscapone --

thanks for the report. I will be repeating your menu in Sept for a group of 20-30 in the upstairs "atrium" -- we are excited by your rave review!

cheers

MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA