• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chewing gum

Kareen

Really, I'm looking into making chewing gum for a project. But I want something good, not jus chewable...

I have a small handfull of chewing gum recipes. I would be happy to give it to you. Unfortunately, I am at the Fancy Food Show where we are exhibiting and then will be off to the San Francisco Chocolate Salon next weekend so I would not be able to give it to you until I get back on Tues. or Wed. of next week. If that is not too late for you, please drop me an e-mail maybe Wednesday the 18th or shortly thereafter and I would be happy to assist in any way I can. One thing to remember though, I only have recipes, I have never tried it..... (It would be fun to try though even though I rarely chew gum.)

BTW: Does anyone know of any eGullet get togethers at the Fancy Food Show? It would be great to meet any fellow eGulleters that are attending....

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Really, I'm looking into making chewing gum for a project. But I want something good, not jus chewable...

Ok, I'm back from all my travels and hopefully, I can address this to some degree. Keep in mind, I have not made gum myself and only know what I do from trade books that I have.

In short, you will need what is called gum base. I have a couple formulations for bubble gum base these are:

Washed pontianak gum (44.5 parts)

gutta katiana (41.6 parts)

gutta S.O.H. (7.7 parts)

Candelilla Wax (6.2 parts)

or

Washed Pontianak (jelutong) gum (44.5 pars)

Yutta Katiana (41.6 parts)

Yutta S.O.H. (7.7 parts)

Candelilla Wax (6.2 parts)

or

Chicle Gum (20 parts)

Washed Pontianak gum (27 parts)

Yutta Katiana (43.9 parts)

Candelilla Wax (1.1 parts)

The gum base is broken into pieces and softened in a steam heated pan. The gum is then transferred into a heated mixing bowl with a Z style mixers and glucose is added as well icing sugar. Mixing is performed for 2-3 hours at a temp of 170 - 185 degrees F max. The gum is then turned into well dusted plates or trays and formed into loaves. These are cooled to 100 degrees F. then are formed by rolling, extrusion, etc. into their final shape. After forming, gum is typically allowed to mature in rooms maintained at 65 degrees F for eight hours before wrapping. This extends the shelf life.

Unfortunately, I do not have any info as far as flavorings are concerned. I'd imagine it would be a powdered form and mixed in with the icing sugar. As far as playing around is concerned, I'd try Kool Aid (the kind in the small packets) since their flavorings are very powerful and you are adding sugar already anyway.

Hope this helps,

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

I've made gum a few times with the chewing gum base you mentioned along with glycerine and I don't remember what else. The thing issue I had was no matter how I flavored it, extracts, reductions, compounds etc. the flavor just didn't last but a mere few minutes.

www.adrianvasquez.net

I love to try and make some, but it looks rather intense, and to source those ingredients on a small scale would probably be somewhat difficult.

One thing about gum is that their isnt anything on the market that is minty enough. Nothing, nudda, ziltch.

I would love to try and make a super-dooper, blow your mind minty gum.