• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ground Beef

winodj

AWESOME Tacos....Not ala "Taco Smell" but true taqueria style.

Brown off the meat drain the grease and then start seeing whats in the produce box. I love 'em with chopped onion, garlic,peppers (all colors), jalapenos, tomato, cillantro, and sometimes chipotles if I don't have to worry about feeding gringos. I've also done variations with zucchini, summer squash & yukon gold potatoes. Saute the veggies and add the meat back in, Just about any thing is possible, season the dishes out with chili powder in light amounts and use comino, corriander, and oregano as needed, use stock, beer, tomato juice, water or a combination and allow the whole shebang to braise for 20 to 30 minutes, before service a squeeze of lime always adds a nice "brightness". No matter what you make for a filling just don't forget that tortillas are not ready to go out of the pack...you must toast them in a dry, medium hot pan for the best flavor. One of my cooks back in Texas would also make what she called barbecue. It was basically whatever and all meat trimmings from butchering, (++ 4 food cost!) with chunks of onion, tomato, jalapeno, and cillantro stems slow roasted covered with foil. She would then hand shred the meat simillar to the Vietnamese, and roll it up into tortillas like little cigars with a brain melting habanero salsa.

winodj, assemble stuff in the bowl. It's best if you have a dolsot (stone bowl) that you can heat up and then put the rice into. But if not, just let the rice crisp up a bit on the bottom of the pot and fold it all in. Do the miced beef and whatever in a skillet then slide it in. Slice up some scallions, throw in some chilled kimchee. Crack an egg on top. Now bibim (stir together) the stuff with the bap (rice).

Bibimbap, boyo.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I have a wonderful Loose Meat recipe for your next ground beef meal. And it works perfectly on the stovetop!

Charlie Boy Loosemeats

5 lb hamburger

1/8 cup black pepper

1/4 cup horseradish

1/4 cup yellow mustard

1/2 cup catsup

1 cup minced onion

1 cup water

In a large, deep skillet, brown hamburger, drain grease and set it aside. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1/2 - 1 hour. Stir frequently. Can also be cooked in crockpot on high, until liquid evaporates for the proper loosemeat consistency.

Note, if hamburger is lean, add back some grease to better flavor meat.

The two key flavors are the black pepper for spice and the horseradish for background heat. Adjust to your personal taste. Salt to taste.

Leftovers will taste even better the next day after a night in the fridge.

Enjoy on buns alone or over hotdogs. A good chewy Kaiser style bun would work good here, letting you saturate the inside bun with some grease, while staying together and letting you keep the meat inside for more efficient eating.

Beverage suggestion: Frosted mugs of your favorite beer.

Woo Hoo! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::smile:

Here's the other caveat. Some of these dishes sound great, but I dont have an oven, just a stovetop and microwave.

Just read this thread - reminded me of the microwave meatloaf recipe I gave my son several years back. He often made this in his dorm room when he was homesick. There are better recipes around, but this one is blazingly easy and quick, and you can keep the dry ingredients on hand. Ten minutes later and you're eating meatloaf.

Microwave Meatloaf -

1 1/2 lbs ground beef

1 egg

1 can tomato sauce (8oz)

1 cup instant oats

1 T instant chopped onions

1/8 t garlic powder

1 1/2 t celery salt

2 t sage

(Food cooks better in microwaves when they are in a round shape. My son had one of those white Corningware souffle dishes. He made this recipe in that, with a glass or cup in the middle to hold the shape of the round meatloaf. As a dorm kid, he didn't want a lot of cleanup, so he did this all in that one big dish.)

In large bowl, beat egg slightly, just to mix. Add remaining ingredients and toss lightly to combine. Form loaf into doughnut shape in round microwaveable dish. Cook on full power for five minutes, rotating at least once. Add glaze.

Glaze:

1/3 C catsup

1 t Worsty

horseradish to taste

1 T brown sugar

1 T prepared yellow mustard.

Glaze meatloaf and return to microwave. Cook another five minutes, or until done, rotating at least once.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I did the deed and made the Bibimbap. It was really good... granted I'm sure I did it all wrong, and I made sure the rice was sticky and not fluffy.... but I really liked it... and I will probably make it again soon! Thanks for the tip!

I did the deed and made the Bibimbap. It was really good... granted I'm sure I did it all wrong, and I made sure the rice was sticky and not fluffy.... but I really liked it... and I will probably make it again soon! Thanks for the tip!

winodj, what can be said but:

BI.BIM.BAP!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM