• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Equipment and gadgets, what's your desire?

jgm

Let me know how the vacumn sealer works!  I've been thinking about it!

We've actually be discussing it over in the sous vide thread, and I'm in the middle of testing the bags' heat-resistance right now (7.5 hours at 190 F and counting...).

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I want Santa to make an ecomical line of immersion circulators featuring digital display and precise control of water temp and then I want him to sell them for a discount price so I can get my hands on one!

I want one of these oil-less turkey fryers!!

It's not an oxymoron, it apparently cooks by infrared - sounds good to me. I love new technology for cooking traditional foods. I do have a conventional turkey fryer but this sounds like it mitigates any of the problem inherent in having a pot of boiling oil around (if one is not an evil castle dweller)!!!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

It's not an oxymoron, it apparently cooks by infrared - sounds good to me.  I love new technology for cooking traditional foods.  I do have a conventional turkey fryer but this sounds like it mitigates any of the problem inherent in having a pot of boiling oil around (if one is not an evil castle dweller)!!!

This looks like a really neat cooker! I've never really liked a Turkey fryer for safety in flavor reasons but I do like the crisp skin and moist interior, this looks like the perfect answer. I like to look at one before buying but it certainly is on my list.

Does any reader of this forum have one or at least has anyone seen one in operation in taste and result?

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

It's not an oxymoron, it apparently cooks by infrared - sounds good to me.  I love new technology for cooking traditional foods.  I do have a conventional turkey fryer but this sounds like it mitigates any of the problem inherent in having a pot of boiling oil around (if one is not an evil castle dweller)!!!

I noticed every turkey recipe on that web site said 10 minutes per pound. Deep frying is definitely faster than that. Of course, one drawback to deep frying is you're limited to a certain size (12lbs? 14lbs?). Bigger won't fit in the pot.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I borrowed one to try and cooked a large fresh ham in it (14.5 pounds) and it did a great job.

Being able to use it outside meant that I didn't have the aroma from rendered and burnt fat permeating my kitchen.

I stuck one of the remote probes in it so I would know when the interior of the meat had reached the desired temp. I started it with the top on it and removed it after an hour.

It is much less daunting than using the fryer and all that oil, which I usually end up discarding after one use, unless one of my neighbors has a use for it. (One is building a "refinery" in his garage and intends to get a generator that operates on recovered vegetable cooking oil!!)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am yearning  for a brand new kitchen in my "potential 1000 square foot of space" in the basement.... right now it is concrete room with no floors no walls, no ceiling ..14 electrical outlets in a row on one wall....a huge fireplace and a view that is to die for ..

Santa I am very good, very broke and very tired of remodeling this house!!!! so please just make this kitchen  just appear!!!!

I just wanted to let Santa know I would still be very happy to have this..I have been very good (well as good as the limits of my personality allow) ..I took all the junk out the room is clean as can be...

all he has to do is just make it happen :wub:

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Ok maybe on Ov glove would be nice if I can not have the kitchen

The New and Improved Ove Glove.

They've added a silicone texture/pattern to decrease the chance of slippage when handling pots, etc.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Ok maybe on Ov glove would be nice if I can not have the kitchen

The New and Improved Ove Glove.

They've added a silicone texture/pattern to decrease the chance of slippage when handling pots, etc.

Now that is a brilliant idea.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Perhaps something like THIS will show up on a few "Santa Please" lists.

It ain't grandpappy's still!

Santa-

I've been a good little mensch... and what I really want is...

A new red chef's coat (my old one is dead...) with "Chef Howard" on the breast and a good belt to hang a couple of kitchen towels from. You just can't have enough towels when cooking.

hvr :biggrin:

(edited because I can't proof red) :shock:

Edited by HVRobinson (log)

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net