• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Equipment and gadgets, what's your desire?

jgm

Now that we're in the second half of the year, it's time to start making out our lists for Santa, or whichever cultural/ethnic/religious icon stops by your house near the end of the year.

I'm trying to decide whether to get a second Aerogarden. If one is wonderful (and it is!) two can only be better. And now there's a strip that mounts to the wall, that will hold three!

A meat grinder for the Kitchen Aid is a definite possibility.

And what are YOU pining for? :biggrin:

My family knows - more and more pastry forms in all shapes and sizes. I never seem to have the shape that I want nor enough to feed the family and friends.

I won't last until the holidays before I buy one, but I'm really grooving on the flexible mixing bowls by ISI.

Then my big gift will undoubtedly be a KitchenAid stand mixer - how could I have survived this long without one!

If you plan on making anything like burgers, meatloaf, etc, the food grinder attachment is a must... not a possibility!

Infrared surface temp thermometer.

I've never had any particular desire to grind my own meat, until I started reading the meat grinding thread here. This may have to go on my list this year. :biggrin:

I am sold on the simple utility of the Ove Glove.  (sound)

I have two of these, and they are simply marvelous.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Had one of those oven gloves for a few years (different brand). Awesome!

To the herb-grower owner, is it really that great?? Does it put out enough to make it worth the trouble? [i have tons of perenials that grow in my yard; too bad it's only about 4 months of the year.]

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Had one of those oven gloves for a few years (different brand).  Awesome!

To the herb-grower owner, is it really that great??  Does it put out enough to make it worth the trouble?  [i have tons of perenials that grow in my yard; too bad it's only about 4 months of the year.]

-Mark-

Yes, it is. There is a thread here about it. The product performs as described. In my mind, its one and only drawback is that plants (such as tarragon and rosemary) that are not usually raised from seed, can't be grown in this device. But that's a small drawback.

I am yearning for a brand new kitchen in my "potential 1000 square foot of space" in the basement.... right now it is concrete room with no floors no walls, no ceiling ..14 electrical outlets in a row on one wall....a huge fireplace and a view that is to die for ..

Santa I am very good, very broke and very tired of remodeling this house!!!! so please just make this kitchen just appear!!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 3 months later...

I wasn't sure which "Gadget" discussion to post this in...

I thought this small appliance was unusual:

Toastess 1000-watt Cordless Classic Stainless Steel Warming Tray

A cordless warming tray that comes in different sizes. It looks like this one is their largest model.

The description doesn't say how it retains the heat for 60 minutes which makes me wonder if the heat stays at a certain temperature for that full hour or is there a gradual fall-off during that time? Also, I'm wondering how you move the tray since the sides/handles don't look very hand-friendly. I supposed you could always use hotpads/towels to set it in place.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The KitchenAid mixer and grinder are must have items.. just dont feed them wooden OR metal spoons.. they will eat them! I keep a twisted heavy spoon on the wall as a reminder to shut the machine off when making pizza dough.. lol

I want a mandolin just because they are excellent fingertip removers :blink: .. that and some heavy leather gloves because cast iron gets so darn hot!... And if I am a good boy this year I hope santa brings me a KitchenAid pasta roller.. but I would be find with a hand crank roller and exactally $1 million.

Chow down,

Kev

p.s. a good Italian deli nearby would be awesome.. you know the ones I am talking about.. meats, olives, motz... *drools*

Oh, I'm back on my Rancilio Silvia kick again - along with the Rocky grinder. or an Expobar E-61 type machine.

Pasta attachment for my Kitchen Aid - already have the grinder and various other attachments.

Vita Mix - I'm waiting till my Krups blender buys the farm, but it's on the list.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I can't believe how many people want that meat grinder attachment for the Kitchen aid!

I love mine. Nothing screams fatty juicy burger more than freshly ground meat.

Well, since I already have that I'd like some new dinner ware and maybe a dutch oven.

Hell I haven't even penned my letter to Santa yet she showed up this morning with:

A 48 blade Jaccard

The new Reynolds vacuum sealer device and two packages of the bags

and

2 slow cooker recipe books!

Thank you Santa Kerry!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog