• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Ontario Restaurant

Madge

Ouch.. London restaurants..

Compare to Toronto, the better restaurants here are way too expensive for the quality. Asian food is almost hopeless.. A pad thai can easily set you back $16+.. Ouch..

If you insist, Crave http://www.craverestaurant.ca/home.htm and on-the-fork http://www.restaurantica.com/restaurants/422/ are some of the better ones.

For really good food, drive half an hour to Stratford: http://www.bijourestaurant.com/

- M

Ouch.. London restaurants..

Compare to Toronto, the better restaurants here are way too expensive for the quality. Asian food is almost hopeless.. A pad thai can easily set you back $16+.. Ouch..

If you insist, Crave http://www.craverestaurant.ca/home.htm and on-the-fork http://www.restaurantica.com/restaurants/422/ are some of the better ones.

For really good food, drive half an hour to Stratford: http://www.bijourestaurant.com/

- M

I recommended Crave on the other recent London thread - but on my parent's rec, as I haven't eaten there myself. But it's at least a half hour from the Wellington strip. Stratford is going to be at least an hour from that part of town. Not sure of the best way to avoid the city if you do want to head to Stratford. Maybe 401 to airport Rd (or whatever it's called now) and up Clarke?

Anyways, traffic in London ain't what it used to be - it's gonna take a while to get from Wellington and the 401 to the north end of town.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

But: have you any recs for what I call a white hair-white tablecloth restaurant? Well prepared meat and veg, comforting, conservative and quiet? I know we'll need a quiet upscale WASPY place for one of those dinners with a good wine list and locovore tendencies Maybe Michaels on the Thames?

Sorry to reply so late... it's been a while since I visited eGullet.

Unfortunately I don't know of any place in London that fits the bill - not necessarily because none exist, but because when I go to that city, my father always wants to explore more exotic fare!

We did like the late lamented Village Cafe, which was small and quiet and companionable (and white-tablecloth!), and had very nice food. Alas - it closed in June.

I can only suggest exploring Restaurantica.com for promising customer reviews. (I took a peek at the "fine dining" category, and apparently the Armouries Grill is very well liked by most of the people who tried it out.)

Perhaps you might also try taking a peek at the latest restaurant reviews in the online London Free Press?

P.S. I've heard other people recommend Crave, but have never tried it myself. My 83-year-old father went there a few months ago and refuses to return. It's not the food, which evidently is very good. The problem is the noise levels, which can be quite high when it gets busy (which apparently is almost always). Because he (like most elderly people) really has trouble hearing someone else speaking when there's a lot of ambient noise, he has given up on going back. I guess you could try going well before or after the usual meal hours, but - no guarantees!

I can only suggest exploring Restaurantica.com for promising customer reviews. (I took a peek at the "fine dining" category, and apparently the Armouries Grill is very well liked by most of the people who tried it out.)

Ok, I have to comment on Armouries grill. Totally vile. If you want Sysco food, thats what you'll find there.

I've eaten at Next Door( same owners as Crave and coincidentally, its right next door to crave). Its all the way on the North Side of town and it could take you 45min to get there. I had a club sandwich and diet coke and it cost 17.00. Very pricey for what you get. It was a nice club sandwich, good fries, but not worth the cost.

Wellington and the 401 is my Neighborhood! Unfortunatly we are dominated by chain restaurants. My Husband works at Timbers in the Raddison, (wellington and southdale) but the food is simply average. (Although if you go on a weekend it is much better. That's when he works. Make sure to ask for Darryl to cook your steak. The rest of the week don't bother)

There is decent Vietnamese in the strip mall at wellington and Bradley. It's tucked in beside a Jack Astors (don't bother) and a McDonalds. There is a Halal Butcher shop in the strip mall at Southdale and Montgomery (just behind the raddisson -near the Giant tiger) that does a decent Schwarma and a pretty good Spinach and Feta Pie. The Baclava is good too.

Better yet - just come to my house and I will cook. I live right near the mall. You can almost see it from my back yard.

My Husband's Aunt - who I think defines the "white hair set" quite likes the Windemere Manor. http://www.windermeremanor.com/dinner.htm

We hit the Tasting Room last night for dinner and it was good but indeed very noisy. But that may have been partly because of Homecoming weekend. Everything downtown was busy.

We also recently went to MINT (Downtown by the Market) for a Birthday and it was good. On the Fork at the Art Gallery is supposed to be very nice, but I have never been there.

If you want a good Pizza that is not from a chain - Muldoon's Pizza on Wonderland not far north of the 402 is very good. Even Calipoutine with her hatred of London food agrees that it is very good pizza :)

Hong Ping is very good food. I have been several times lately. Sometimes the Baby wants Chinese. Who am I to deny it? It kicks me if I don't feed it.

Edited by Pookie (log)

Oooh one more.

Shiki Japanese is north of Southdale on the left By an optical store but serves very nise sushi and other Japanese foods.

If you take more than 3 people you can order the Fanily meal A which gets you a feast of sushi, tempura, assorted small dishes of stuff and teriaki beef.

Okay - two more.

Asiana (commissioners east of Wellington - plaza with a star bucks, next to a giant Shoppers Drug mart) does korean hot pot. And Bibimbap. Yum.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone recommend a good place for Indian food in London (Ontario)?

My Dad would like to try an East Indian restaurant. I've read some online reviews, but some are old, while others are highly mixed. I'd love some guidance!

My Dad would like to try an East Indian restaurant. I've read some online reviews, but some are old, while others are highly mixed. I'd love some guidance!

There is a new place on King( not sure of the name, something with an M maybe). There is also Jewel of India which was ok. I usually go for the lunch ( buffet) rather than order off a menu.

Even Calipoutine with her hatred of London food agrees that it is very good pizza :)

Ok, I missed this when you posted it. I dont *hate* London food, I just don't like very much of it. You know there are a few places that I enjoy( and I go back to them over and over again)......

There is a new place on King( not sure of the name, something with an M maybe). There is also Jewel of India which was ok. I usually go for the lunch ( buffet) rather than order off a menu.

Would it be Massey's, perhaps? They're at 174 King:

Massey's review on Restaurantica

(There seem to be 3 or 4 Indian restaurants clustered around the King/Richmond area. Funny...)

• 2 months later...

OK, looks like I'll be coming to town for another visit one of these days...

My father mentioned having visited the Four Seasons Restaurant, which serves Greek cuisine. He'd like to go back again.

Anyone been there? If so, what dishes would you recommend?

My father mentioned having visited the Four Seasons Restaurant, which serves Greek cuisine. He'd like to go back again.

Never been, in fact I've never heard of it. I have eaten at Santorini's which I enjoyed.

• 2 months later...

Four Seasons is a Greek-owned family restaurant on Fanshawe Park Road. They have both Greek and family restaurant standards on the menu. It is fine for a family restaurant, but I don't really think of it as a Greek restaurant. It's the place I often take picky, non-foodie guests from out-of-town, since it's open daily and there's a large menu so picky eaters are bound to find something they like on the menu.

At the Four Seasons, I'd recommend the Greek platter which comes with a little bit of everything (pastitso, dolmades, souvlaki, salad, roast potatoes, spanakopita, etc.), but be warned it is a generous platter. I don't mind their stuffed grapeleaves or yiouvarlakia (an occasional special) They usually have a few daily Greek and non Greek specials, as well as a busy Sunday brunch buffet.

I wasn't impressed by Santorini. The grilled octopus was fine, and the serving of horta was generous, but the dishes weren't seasoned with care. It tasted heavy-handed.

Mykonos has slipped in the last couple years, some of their food tastes like it was pre-frozen. It just doesn't taste as fresh as it used to taste.

For better Greek food in London, I'd recommend Mythic Grill on Albert Street. Everything I have ordered has tasted fresh, although I wish they had a few more options on their menu. Unfortunately it's a small space, and they don't take reservations, so arrive early!

Edited by phoenikia (log)

For better Greek food in London, I'd recommend Mythic Grill on Albert Street. Everything I have ordered has tasted fresh, although I wish they had a few more options on their menu. Unfortunately it's a small space, and they don't take reservations, so arrive early!

My spouse went there for a work xmas lunch and she said it was really good.

http://www.masseys.ca/

Massey's is my favourite Indian restaurant in London right now. The chef really knows his craft. He worked in the Taj Palace Hotel in New Delhi before coming to Canada. The spicing always seems balanced, even fragrant.

Tandoor Macchi Tikka( a coriander-crusted fish cooked in a tandoor), Khumb Mattar, and Dal Makni are some of the dishes I have enjoyed. The Gobi dil Khush and Palak Paneer are also quite good.

I've tried most of the lamb and chicken curries, and the gravies have been rich and tasty, and the meat has been melt-in-your-mouth tender, but I still tend to focus on vegetarian dishes when I visit.

The service is friendly, and the atmosphere is a little more upscale than Jewel of India or Curry Garden. It's a little more expensive than the other Indian restaurants in town, but it's the best tasting by far.

Massey's has a buffet at lunch, but I've only tried their dinner menu.

Another Indian place that is quite delicious is the take-out place called Good for U in the food court at Cherry Hill Village Mall (formerly Westown Plaza) where the Baskin Robbins used to be located. Her samosas and other Indian treats are quite good, although sometimes a little greasy.

Another Indian place that is quite delicious is the take-out place called Good for U in the food court at Cherry Hill Village Mall (formerly Westown Plaza) where the Baskin Robbins used to be located. Her samosas and other Indian treats are quite good, although sometimes a little greasy.

I used to go to that Baskin Robbins when I was a kid. We're talking the 70s here, folks.

I feel old.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 1 month later...
just gonna bump this up and ask about kid-friendly options.

I suspect we'll only do a meal or two outside the grandparents place, but any advice appreciated.

cheers,

Geoff

Are there any specific foods/cuisines your kids like to eat?

If your kids like Greek food, I'd suggest Mythic Grill on Albert. Unfortunately, they don't take reservations.

Prince Albert Diner might be fun for kids, too, with all their milkshakes, etc. Or Joe Kool's during the day ( it' more of a bar at night). The kitchen sink nachos might be a bit of a novelty for the kids.

I suspect we'll only do a meal or two outside the grandparents place, but any advice appreciated.

cheers,

Geoff

If your kids like Greek food, I'd suggest Mythic Grill on Albert. Unfortunately, they don't take reservations.

Prince Albert Diner might be fun for kids, too, with all their milkshakes, etc. Or Joe Kool's during the day ( it' more of a bar at night). The kitchen sink nachos might be a bit of a novelty for the kids.

Well, he's only 3. But, we did Italian yesterday, Ethiopean tomorrow, so he's up for pretty much anything as long as the spice level isn't too high.

Loves hummus and cheese most of all. And anything we tell him is a treat.

And Kools - brings back memories. Feast of the Maumaus - where are they now?

Cheers,

Geoff

cheers,

Geoff

Well, he's only 3. But, we did Italian yesterday, Ethiopean tomorrow, so he's up for pretty much anything as long as the spice level isn't too high.

Cheers,

Geoff

Since he likes hummus, I'd head to Barrakat. It looks like a fastfood Middleeastern place, but their food is delicious.. It's on the corner of Albert and Richmond, where the Eastside Marios used to be located. Their hummus is great, as are their mezzes, shawarmas, lentil soup.

Massey's Fine Indian Cuisine on King east of Richmond is another option, since they have lots of mild Northern dishes. I really like their version of muttar paneer, and their makhani dal (with kidney beans). If you like coriander, they have a tandoor cooked fish that is quite good.

Too bad Say Cheese is long gone!

Your son also might like a trip to Merla Mae, for a soft serve sundae. It's now located on Adelaide near Huron.

If I think of anywhere else, I'll post some more;)

• 2 weeks later...

cheers,

Geoff

Cheers,

Geoff

Since he likes hummus, I'd head to Barrakat. It looks like a fastfood Middleeastern place, but their food is delicious.. It's on the corner of Albert and Richmond, where the Eastside Marios used to be located. Their hummus is great, as are their mezzes, shawarmas, lentil soup.

Massey's Fine Indian Cuisine on King east of Richmond is another option, since they have lots of mild Northern dishes. I really like their version of muttar paneer, and their makhani dal (with kidney beans). If you like coriander, they have a tandoor cooked fish that is quite good.

Too bad Say Cheese is long gone!

Your son also might like a trip to Merla Mae, for a soft serve sundae. It's now located on Adelaide near Huron.

If I think of anywhere else, I'll post some more;)

Went to Barrakat. Humungous servings for the price. The kid refused to eat anything, including the hummus. These things happen. Thanks for the tip though.

Anybody tried Si Senor, a new Mexican place on Waterloo?

Cheers,

Geoff

I do love a Merla Mae jamoca almond fudge sundae!

I do love a Merla Mae jamoca almond fudge sundae!

Sadly, never made it there on this visit. Partly cuz it rained every day except for Canada day - which was glorious sunshine the entire time.

Next time for sure.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 9 months later...

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted to this thread!

First of all, my father and I did go to Massey's Fine Indian Cuisine, and we really enjoyed it. So Massey's is now on our list of regular dining spots whenever I come out for a visit - particularly where dinner is concerned (the dinner menu is distinctly better than the weekday lunch buffet).

I was wondering, has anyone here tried the Dragonfly Bistro - specifically the Rijsttafel that they offer every Monday from 5:30 - 9:00 pm? Used to go to that location (715 Richmond) back when it was the Village Cafe, but I haven't tried it since it changed its name and menu. On the other hand, their Indonesian/Dutch evening sounds interesting!

I'd also really like a recommendation for a Korean restaurant - any ideas? (BTW I'm looking for a selection of good Korean food, rather than Japanese food; I'm not looking for sushi.) The only places I've turned up by searching are Asiana Restaurant, Seoul Garden, and Take Sushi (!). Anyone know them?