• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roses recommendations

Hello everyone,

I posted my brief question in the El Bulli reports thread, but I have now created this thread in order to elicit further discussion of restaurants in the general area.

We will be visiting El Bulli and Roses in August for 3 nights (lodging at the Port Salins Hotel) and are looking for some other places to try during that time.

I have already received recommendations for Rafa's in Roses and Can Roca in Girona, which I have started to investigate.

A short drive will not be a problem as we have rented a car and are specifically looking for more relaxed/casual establishments though any recommendations are appreciated. We typically have one very luxurious meal per destination (El Bulli for Roses, still undecided for Barcelona) so we mainly hit more casual establishments for the rest of the trip, but nothing is out of question.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Len

In the immediate vicinity of elBulli, Rafa's is the one that gets the most attention from the food obsessed. It is wonderful and a great contrast to elBulli, however, it is only open depending on the availability of quality fresh seafood. So while you may be unlucky and not get to eat there, if you do, you will know that the seafood is pristine and as good as it gets.

Having a car opens up all sorts of possibilities. Certainly Can Roca isn't terribly far and also a great restaurant, but there are plenty of other great restaurants north of Barcelona as well. Other Michelin 3*'s include El Raco de Can Fabes and Sant Pau. L'Esguard is worth a journey too. There are also a number of other intriguing restaurants that I have not personally been to including Can Jubany in Vic. For yet a different side of Catalan cooking you can venture into nearby France. Collioures and Banyuls Sur Mer are not far and are good for some interesting wine tasting as well as a bite.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I second Doc's recommendation of Rafa's.

Moreover, in Roses you have La LLar, Joan Viñas' restaurant, which holds (or held, not sure) a Michelin star. Also close, just outside Figueres and a 20 minute drive from Roses you have Xavi Sagrista's Mas Pau restaurant, with one star as well.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Thank you both. It looks as if I have a lot of searching/reading to do.

I have my fingers crossed for Rafa's; sounds like my kind of place!

Cheers,

Len

I'll add a post I wrote on an older thread about another Roses favourite, Cal Campaner:

This weekend I found myself in Roses without the phone number for Rafa's and with no way to book a table. Unsurprisingly, then, at lunchtime we were disappointed to find the place completely booked out.

The lady working with Rafa (called Rosa I think) recommended Cal Campaner, on c/ Mossem Carles Feliu, 23 (tel 972 25 69 54). She said that it was "just like us, the same quality".

So we trekked up the hill to find a tiny restaurant, typical of any barrio in Spain: football team scarves and posters, ancient decorations, lots of photos etc. Cal Campaner was also packed with families, not a tourist in the place, but when I said that we'd been sent from Rafa's they said they'd try to find a table for us later.

I'm glad we waited: it was exceptional. We ate clams (almejas), baby clams, spiny sea urchins and oysters. Then we had sepia, rodaballo and gallo. The fish was shown to us before we ate, then quickly griddled. Then a selection of homemade desserts. We had wine, coffee, pan amb tomaquet... and the bill was 120 euros for 4 people. I thought they'd made a mistake but that really was the price. We saw a succession of delicious-looking fish dishes and paella coming out of the kitchen which left us happy, full but frustrated at not being able to eat all of it! The service was friendly and the customers were all having a great time.

I had a brief chat with the owner, a very amiable man whose name I have sadly forgotten. He has pictures of "his good friend" Ferran Adrian on the walls, who he meets often with Rafa at the fish market.

Cal Campaner shouldn't be regarded as a second-rate Rafa's: it is an excellent restaurant in its own right.