• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Select Bistro

IndolentAgain

Renka saw your fantastic pics from a link and looked at the Le Select ones.

How was the meal ????. I love the look of the cassoulet and other dishes from your photographs.

I am back again in under 2 weeks and looking for different places to try.

Renka saw your fantastic pics from a link and looked at the Le Select ones.

How was the meal ????. I love the look of the cassoulet and other dishes from your photographs.

I am back again in under 2 weeks and looking for different places to try.

Hello there, IndolentAgain. Thanks for the kind words regarding the pictures of Le Select that I posted up. I don't know what your taste is like, but I found the food ok. Service was unpretentious, atmosphere and value was mid-range. Nothing pressing me to return in the immediate future, but it was passable (what else can one expect, it is, afterall, Bistro fare?). That being said, the steak frites ordered did look nice (did you see its beautiful interior?) and I heard that the cassoulet was satisfying. :smile:

I have a friend who is search for the best steak frites in the city. If you don't mind my adding onto this string, I'm curious to see what recommendations will come from our fellow eGulleters.

I'm an occasional visitor to TO (my girlfriend's family are there). Every time we are there we try somewhere else. So far the highlights have been Canoe, Splendido and Scaramouche.

I have eaten in Bistro 990 a couple of times and their frites are good. I have only had the tartare with frites there... which was pleasant.

The fries were well fried with good colour and texture (crispy but not over cooked) and the flavour was right on the money. I would think a contender in your list.

Thanks Renka - I love "high-end" food but like variety even more so eat every where from Gordon Ramsay through Dim Sum to Pizza....

I didnt see the interior (edit - I should read others posts slower !!!!) pictures as I was a little more focused on the food pictures as I skipped through the album. I noticed that you have been eating out a lot since November.

Also it looks like you have changed camera or settings at some point as the night shots are a lot brighter with the more recent ones. Mine always come out with the darker look.

Edit - Yes :rolleyes: I did see the "interior" pics of the steak (just took a look at the link). It did look nice if a bit overdone for me :biggrin:

Edited by IndolentAgain (log)

Thanks Renka - I love "high-end" food but like variety even more so eat every where from Gordon Ramsay through Dim Sum to Pizza....

I didnt see the interior (edit - I should read others posts slower !!!!) pictures as I was a little more focused on the food pictures as I skipped through the album. I noticed that you have been eating out a lot since November.

Also it looks like you have changed camera or settings at some point as the night shots are a lot brighter with the more recent ones. Mine always come out with the darker look.

Edit - Yes :rolleyes: I did see the "interior" pics of the steak (just took a look at the link). It did look nice if a bit overdone for me  :biggrin:

IndolentAgain - Regarding pictures found in the photostream, I have to admit I didn't start posting much before last fall. I do have quite a number of images taken of restaurants I'd been to before that time which are not posted (except for a handful of higher end meals); perhaps I'll get to adding those one day.

With time, I'd also had a chance to learn about how to use my camera a bit better, so settings and (hopefully) experience has helped me get better shots quicker. Thank goodness, as I can now take one or two pictures and then dive into the meal. I have to admit, taking images does get in the way and detracts from the dining experience a little, so it doesn't always happen. In addition, not every dining companion would appreciate nor understand this "obsession." :blush:

Sometimes I get to use a friend's camera (especially a DSLR!) and that's really fun. Perhaps I'll upgrade one day. In the meantime, I'm still searching to find a wonderful point & shoot to replace my little aged wonder which is starting to fade on me. (Besides, compact cameras fit better in dainty purses.)

It looks like there is still debate on the best steak frites in the city. Thanks IndolentAgain and GordonCooks. I'd been to the restaurants you've suggested but had never tried their steak frites (I'm personally into game meats). I will pass on your suggestions (and yes, the frites are quite important), but would be glad to entertain any more.

The Best Steak Frites I've had were at Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar. I have a friend that swears by Le Papillon ( I can only vouch for their Moules Frites)

Gordon.... Jamie Kennedy is on my list for my next visit in a couple of weeks. Thuet is also on the list as we are there for 2 weeks this time. Will report back on the frites quality :biggrin:

For fine dining tho' maybe Susur this time.

The Best Steak Frites I've had were at Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar. I have a friend that swears by Le Papillon ( I can only vouch for their Moules Frites)

Not sure when you were last at Le Papillon but I was there in Feb? - not sure exact date...but sure I could not advise any to go there...

officially left egullet....

Renka - Just changed my camera to a Panasonic LX2 which has a lot more manual features which is why I am interested how to get the best food pictures. The previous sony gave too little control over white balance etc to get a good one without flash. Its not a bad obsession to have though is it ?.

ps what is your favorite spot for steak frites ?....

I would have a tough time recommending Le Sélect to a Toronto visitor. There are simply too many other restaurants that are better by all measures to spend your time, money, and most importantly, your appetite there, if you're only in Toronto for a limited time.

for those who live here, it's decent but nothing special, save to say that I noticed that they their Monday daily special is boudin noir, something I've been looking for in the city.

Not sure when you were last at Le Papillon but I was there in Feb? - not sure exact date...but sure I could not advise any to go there...

Thanks for the heads up - I trust his ethnic palate but we argue about everything else.

Thanks for the heads up - I trust his ethnic palate but we argue about everything else.

I had heard good things about it, I think I even looked at your post, but just not good when I went.

I would agree, that Le Select is good. They allow BYOW which is good in my book since their list is in line with others mark ups. I usually go on others dimes though.

Renka - Just changed my camera to a Panasonic LX2 which has a lot more manual features which is why I am interested how to get the best food pictures. The previous sony gave too little control over white balance etc to get a good one without flash. Its not a bad obsession to have though is it ?.

ps what is your favorite spot for steak frites ?....

IndolentAgain - re: pictures - I hope not! :laugh:

Regarding my favourite restaurant that serves steak frites, I'm afraid I'd have to pass on this question as: 1) I usually don't order steak frites as I'm lured by other the other rustic offerings; 2) I prefer the other red meats (preferably in the form of venison, elk, lamb, etc.); and 3) a large part of my youth was in Alberta (where AAA Alberta beef comes about so easily), 'nuff said. Frankly, a lot of the beef served in Toronto lacks texture (lovely in USDA Prime. Kobe/Wagu is in a class of its own) and taste (AAA is best). Above all, the colour is off (i.e. orange beef vs. deep red/purple)! I'm not saying this about all beef served in the city, but I've been disappointed enough to know better. However I have come across some great beef at a handful of fine dining establishments, but the price doesn't always justify the order. I usually fill myself up with bovine goodness when I head out west. This is why I'm curious about where people would go for this dish in T.O.

Edited by Renka (log)

....Frankly, a lot of the beef served in Toronto lacks texture (lovely in USDA Prime.  Kobe/Wagu is in a class of its own) and taste (AAA is best).  Above all, the colour is off (i.e. orange beef vs. deep red/purple)!  .....

Just wondering if you know anyone in Toronto that sells (or even serves) the real Kobe beef from Kobe - I know many get the Wagu from Alberta and other places in the US. I agree...way to much blood red beef out there. The best beef I have had is the one that is almost pink due to all the marbling from hills around Takayama. Man do I miss that Hida beef sashimi.....there were some other pieces that would sell for up to 4,500Y/100g or 185 bucks a pound. Yikes!

gallery_9007_4859_127029.jpg

I apologize, I know this is a Le Select thread, but I'm curious what you had at Le Papillon that left you so disappointed. I seem to recall you might have gone after I'd posted something positive, so I feel somewhat responsible...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I apologize, I know this is a Le Select thread, but I'm curious what you had at Le Papillon that left you so disappointed. I seem to recall you might have gone after I'd posted something positive, so I feel somewhat responsible...

Do not worry one bit. I went in part because of others also. PM sent to you regarding the same.

Just to close the circle, and let the thread get back to Le Select, or at least Steak Frites... I'm not sure if Le Papillon has a good Steak Frites or not, or even good basic bistro food, but, at least in my opinion, they make very fine crêpes. So go there for onion soup and crêpes, maybe skip the rest!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Just to close the circle, and let the thread get back to Le Select, or at least Steak Frites...  I'm not sure if Le Papillon has a good Steak Frites or not, or even good basic bistro food, but, at least in my opinion, they make very fine crêpes.  So go there for onion soup and crêpes, maybe skip the rest!

I grabbed lunch there on a Saturday - french onion soup, pork pate, and Moules Frites - all were quite good for lunchtime fare. I was tempted to get a Tourtiere but was saving myself for a big dinner.

Gordon - So.... were the frites at Le Papillion any good ???.

mjkr - that beef picture does look pretty fantastic. Maybe we need a good beef thread (buy rather than restaurant) started as well !!!!

renka - I tend not to order steak very often unless I know the chef can actually prepare a properly blue steak (and not just rare) and so good quality beef is a must also.

• 3 weeks later...

Well during our visit over the last 2 weeks we did a bit of tasting.

Visited Bistro 990, Bistro Bakery Thuet and Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar.

We had frites (in a variety of guises) at all 3.

My wife's vote was

1. Bistro 990

2. Jamie Kennedy

3. Thuet

My vote was

1. Jamie Kennedy

2. Thuet

3. Bistro 990

All three were very good. Thuet adds shaved parmesan to his fries which makes it hard to recommend to everyone (especially not my wife).

All three managed to produce crisp golden fries with good flavour and fluffy potato inside.

My vote for overall restaurant tho goes completely the other way.

1. Thuet

2. Bistro 990

3. Jamie Kennedy WB

Jamie looses out here for a poor salt balance (too much and I really like salty food) in the cooking and of the 5 dishes the last 2 were very poor (although it was important that Jamie was in the restaurant and left just as the 3rd dish was served). The good wine by the glass list winning back points with friendly service.

Bistro 990 is 2nd for a solid performance with consistantly reliable food.

Thuet showed both of the others where to go. Flawless crab cakes to start followed by for me skate grenobloise and an order of fries, boullabaise for my wife.

• 2 weeks later...

They do love their salt there, you'd think it would have been resolved by now. I've been at the kitchen bar and watched the cooks give very generous additions of salt before sending the plates out. I love salt but...

Gordon - So.... were the frites at Le Papillion any good ???.

mjkr - that beef picture does look pretty fantastic. Maybe we need a good beef thread (buy rather than restaurant) started as well !!!!

renka - I tend not to order steak very often unless I  know the chef can actually prepare a properly blue steak (and not just rare) and  so good quality beef is a must also.

Re: Frites

The memory is fuzzy but they must have been good at least. I only seem to recall poor or exceptional cuisine.