• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Cream Leftovers

JFLinLA

There is some extra pastry cream left over from a fruit tart I made. How long can I keep it refrigerated? Can I freeze and reuse it?

Thanks.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

You can keep it refrigerated for a few days with cling wrap pressed onto it's surface to stop a skin forming, but i'm pretty sure that if you froze it, it would seperate and go yucky when thawed.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

I usually keep it 4-5 days, but do the smell test to verify.

What I've found that it seems to freeze ok if it's in it's final place (in a cake, napoleon, etc.), but when it's just frozen on it's own (like in a container) it does separate. One of the many mysteries of baking chemistry ;) I suppose it's because I use corn starch which is supposed to weep when it's frozen. I believe that using modified corn starch doesn't have the same properties of weeping, but I'm afraid to use it.

I bet if you churned pastry cream into ice cream I would be knocking at your front door.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

creme patissiere freezes well if i is cooked very well for a long time, that helps to burst all the tiny little starch granules. once most of them are broken a process called "starch deswelling" (hope its translated correctly) cant happen. when a starchy system such as creme pat is refridgerated the starch granules shrink and the free water unites and gives the impression of a broken texture.

there is a company called sevarome which carries a product especially to freeze creme patissiere. this stuff is added in miniscule amounts, doesnt change taste or texture and is also quite cheap. the folks in france use it all the time....

cheers

torsten s.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

I have a bag of Elsay (hot process) pastry cream powder. It says the finish product can be frozen so I assume if you use this in place of the cornstarch in the pastry cream recipe then it should be okay to freeze.

• 10 years later...
On 07/07/2007 at 1:00 AM, schneich said:

creme patissiere freezes well if i is cooked very well for a long time, that helps to burst all the tiny little starch granules. once most of them are broken a process called "starch deswelling" (hope its translated correctly) cant happen. when a starchy system such as creme pat is refridgerated the starch granules shrink and the free water unites and gives the impression of a broken texture.

there is a company called sevarome which carries a product especially to freeze creme patissiere. this stuff is added in miniscule amounts, doesnt change taste or texture and is also quite cheap. the folks in france use it all the time....

cheers

torsten s.

India is mostly vegetarian and I am trying to make a stable , non gritty butter cream for cakes ...and I am currently using All Purpose Flour , Sugar and Milk in a custard and once done , I whip in butter ...I am struggling as it weeps ...so you are suggesting , I can cook the custard for longer and avoid this ? How long ? Does it not burn ?

Pastry cream leftovers... I thought that's what spoons were for?

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.