• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saratoga Racing Season 2007

ELA

It sounds like a there is an event in the works and that there are several members here who go up to Saratoga Springs for the racing season. Opening day is just over 3 weeks away -- actually, 23 days and counting!!!

So, who is going? I've been going up to Saratoga for many years now. I know it's been discussed, but I thought a current, 2007 racing season thread was called for.

Any word on the event? Favorite restaurants?

On my favorite list is -- Chez Sophie. I also have really been enjoying Lanci's. It's very small and family owned and operated. Very good food -- authentic Italian. Always a good time and always very good food. A lot of chianti's, barollo's and Italian wines. Everyone has always been very nice and they really want you to enjoy your entire visit. I also had some good meals last year at Doc's Steakhouse. Springwater Bistro is excellent and I always like One Caroline. My casual place is the Olde Bryan Inn and for turkey -- and only turkey -- I head out to Winslow's. I like Wheatfields, Brindisi's and another of my favorites is Paradiso (I like Paradiso much better than the "other" restaurant, Villa Balsamo -- the latter does not have a bar and is more of step up toward nicer or fine dining). I also enjoyed the Sushi Thai Garden (I think that's the full name, it's on Phila)

There are some others of course -- eating out every night you get a big list of places, LOL.

So, who is coming up to the Spa and what are your favorites? What places didn't you like? Thanks.

Eric

You should certainly consider adding Beekman Street Bistro, Mouzon House and Karavalli to your list. Beekman offers Slow Food Style local produce cooking while Karavalli is a branch of the much heralded Karavalli group of Indian restaurants. The latter is located where Mino's used to be. Mouzon House is owned by the same people who own One Caroline. Although I am not sure if it will be open in time for the meet, Max's at Mrs. London's is a restaurant that I am looking forward to.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Karavalli is the new place right? Several people have told me about it. I am not a big fan of Indian food in general, but I'll try and get there one night to give it a try.

Where is Mouzon House? I've always liked One Caroline. I would think that if the work has been ongoing for some time, they would very much want to be open in time for the meet. I've heard some good things about Beekman Street Bistro as well.

So -- anyone going up to the Spa?

Thanks.

Eric

Mouzon House has been open for awhile. It has a bit of new Orleans flair to it and is located adjacent to the farmers market.

Max's is the place that hasn't opened yet.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Mouzon House has been open for awhile. It has a bit of new Orleans flair to it and is located adjacent to the farmers market.

Max's is the place that hasn't opened yet.

Got it. I checked out the Mouzon House website and menu -- looks very nice. I will be there without question -- maybe my first night up there, LOL. Actually, after arriving, unpacking, doing some food shopping, etc. and then settling in -- I think most of the time the Olde Bryan Inn is the choice du jour. Either that or ordering in from one of the local spots. Last year we ordered in a lot from Legends -- good sandwhiches, wraps, etc. for delivery.

There are several other places in town that many of my friends like. I just find myself sometimes "fighting" the menu, and that's just me.

What's Max's supposed to be like? What have you heard?

Anyone else heading to the Spa?

Eric

By the way, how can I leave out Siro's! LOL. The usual spot for everyone after the races. I've eaten there several times as well and I always enjoy it. Siro's is "the place" in Saratoga during the racing meet. As a matter of fact, it's closed for the rest of the year. I had my first drink at Siro's almost 20 years ago (I think), and I've been going back ever since.

The Wishing Well is also a well known spot as is Sergio's.

Anyone here like Dine? Tiznow?

Thanks.

Eric

Mouzon House can be a little tricky to find. It's at the end of the parking lot below where the City Center/Saratoga Hotel is located. Near where they hold the Farmer's Market. Nice place-great food. If you get to either One Caroline or Mouzon (same ownership) - you might try to go on a night when their daughter- Sarah Pedinotti and her group are playing- great up and coming jazz singer. I believe Paradiso has been closed for some time now. Max will likely not be open until after the summer. A couple of Indian friends went recently to Karavalli- they enjoyed it, but thought that the food had, in general, been made a little more rich than to what Indians might prefer, probably for American tastes. They also said, that although they try to represent many styles of regional cuisine- they probably do southern Indian the best. I haven't been, but other (American) friends enjoyed it very much.

Mark A. Bauman

Mouzon House can be a little tricky to find. It's at the end of the parking lot below where the City Center/Saratoga Hotel is located. Near where they hold the Farmer's Market. Nice place-great food. If you get to either One Caroline or Mouzon (same ownership) - you might try to go on a night when their daughter- Sarah Pedinotti and her group are playing- great up and coming jazz singer. I believe Paradiso has been closed for some time now. Max will likely not be open until after the summer. A couple of Indian friends went recently to Karavalli- they enjoyed it, but thought that the food had, in general, been made a little more rich than to what Indians might prefer, probably for American tastes. They also said, that although they try to represent many styles of regional cuisine- they probably do southern Indian the best. I haven't been, but other (American) friends enjoyed it very much.

I hear you about Mouzon House. Being that I've been a "racing meet" resident of Saratoga for years, I knew exactly where it was as soon as I saw the website and the address.

Paradiso -- let me see if I get this right -- 2 years ago, the 2005 meet, Paradiso was closed and they "moved" to their other location, "Villa Balsamo". Then, last year, 2006, they were back open at Paradiso again -- which personally I was happy about. Like I said, it's one of my favorites -- more casual than Villa Balsamo and unlike Villa Balsamo, Paradiso has a bar you could sit at and relax. The bar area is kind of dark, but when I am waiting for a table, like many I always like to sit at the bar and have a drink.

So, has Paradiso closed again?

I am not a big fan of Indian food, however, after hearing so many good things about Karavalli opening, I just might have to go.

Eric

Anyone interested in a little, informal, get-together?

There's a few other "foodies" from another BB I am a member of who will be up at the Spa this year at various times, so I thought even to meet up for a drink or something . . . any interest?

Eric

I phoned the number listed for Paradiso in the Saratoga phone book. A recording said they will be operating out of the Villa Balsamo this season.

An informal get-together is a good possibility, depending on when. Just post some possible times and hopefully it will work out.

Mark A. Bauman

I phoned the number listed for Paradiso in the Saratoga phone book. A recording said they will be operating out of the Villa Balsamo this season.

An informal get-together is a good possibility, depending on when. Just post some possible times and hopefully it will work out.

So, another move for Paradiso/Villa Balsamo. I am sure I'll go with some friends, but like I said, I like Paradiso better.

On the get-together -- I'll wait until we get a bit closer, people's plans start to take shape, etc. I'll post a new thread so that people can post the dates they are going to be up there.

Thanks.

Eric

I had dinner tonight at Karavalli on my way back from NYC from the Fancy Foods Show. The Saratoga space is much nicer than the one in Latham and the food was very good. I will go back.

Twitter - @docsconz

I had dinner tonight at Karavalli on my way back from NYC from the Fancy Foods Show. The Saratoga space is much nicer than the one in Latham and the food was very good. I will go back.

Sounds great, thanks for the report. Like I said, I am not a big fan of Indian food per se, but I'll have to try this place. I recently went to an Indian wedding -- full-blown! A friend of mine who was also invited said -- about the food -- "oh yeah, it was great, 27 different kinds of chicken, each one spicier than the one before it". You had to be there, but it was funny.

Anyway -- it looks like a get-together is looking good. There's several people from another BB who will be up at the Spa at various points during the month of August. As we get a bit closer, I'll throw up some posts and give a status report. Anyone who is will be in town can post when they will be there.

"And they're off . . ."

Eric

• 2 weeks later...