• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitutions

Hi,

I am allergic to Fenugreek/Methi (or highly sensitive to it) its also why Im allergic to fake maple syrup flavoring. But I LOVE Indian Food and wanna cook it. What can I substitute that will give me the general flavor of Fenugreek?

I was thinking a mix of ground Fennel and Caraway...

What say you?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

What say you?

As they used to say in old science fiction movies "It sounds crazy, but just might work"

It won't taste like fenugreek, but the same notes may be played on the palate...

all depends on your ratio.. betting it will take a bit of experimentation..

Good luck, and give us progress reports...

Hi,

I am allergic to Fenugreek/Methi (or highly sensitive to it) its also why Im allergic to fake maple syrup flavoring. But I LOVE Indian Food and wanna cook it. What can I substitute that will give me the general flavor of Fenugreek?

What say you?

I'm sure it would not be a substitute for fenugreek, and anyway, caraway is not an Indian spice, despite many references to it. :sad:

Obviously, if you cannot have fenugreek, then you have to leave it out, or choose recipes that don't include it, there are hundreds. :smile:

When fenugreek is heated ('roasted') a group of flavours called pyrazines are formed. These give a roasted/nutty flavour. They are also produced by roasting cumin and coriander seeds. So, if you use recipes that suggest you roast your spices (not many dishes use roasted spices, so not a given) maybe adding a little more of these spices could help.

Something you may want to try, if you dare, is to extract fenugreek leaves into oil, by gentle heating. The flavour (sotolon; have a look here) will be extracted into the oil, and may leave what you are allergic to behind, though, if you are also allergic to faux maple syrup (which also contains sotolon) maybe this is not a good idea. :shock:

HTH

cheers

Waaza

Edited by waaza (log)

I know that fenugreek is what they use to flavor fake maple flavor but I did not know that compound is also in real maple syrup. No wonder I still feel "off" after real syrup.

I get feverish and fall into a deep lethargic sleep after eating it and am groggy for hours after awaking...

BTW what do you know about salmons compounds? I get the same way with salmon.

Thank you so much. This has been very informative.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I know that fenugreek is what they use to flavor fake maple flavor but I did not know that compound is also in real maple syrup. No wonder I still feel "off" after real syrup.

I get feverish and fall into a deep lethargic sleep after eating it and am groggy for hours after awaking...

BTW what do you know about salmons compounds? I get the same way with salmon.

Thank you so much. This has been very informative.

a pleasure, Glorified',

if I can help somebody...............

I worked on salmon calcitonin for a couple of years, but that won't be your problem, unless you have osteoporosis. No doubt you have seen a physician, which I am not. I can only tell you about food and what is in it. I don't see any link between the two, but does it sound like an allergy? If it were just the maple syrup then maybe pre-diabetes, but salmon?

I'll have a think.

cheers

Waaza