• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: Italian Wine Tasting - Vin Classic Wines

Richard Kilgore

Italian Wine Tasting

Vin Classic Wines

5717 Legacy Drive Suite 120

Plano, TX

(Map)

Thursday June 28, 2007

6:30 - 8:00 pm

Free, with a paltry $5 contribution per person to the eGullet Society

Wines tasted:

Frescobaldi Brut Millisimato 2000

Attems Pinot Grigio 2005

Nipozzano Chiant Reserva 2003

Castelgiocondo Brunello 2002

Tenuta di Castglioni Rosso Toscana 2004

Ornellaia 2004

Pomino Vin Santo 2001

Thanks to Darrell Gibson at Vin Classic for arranging this special tasting, and to Gina della Vedova from the distributor, Folio, for the interesting background on each wine poured. This was the most extensive free tasting I have been to -- from the $12 Attens Pinot Grigio 2005 to the $175 Tenuta dell' Ornellaia 2004.

richard:

that was a good wine tasting event. Thanks for putting that together. It was a lot more informal than I thought it would be. I was fearing that it would be a bunch of wine snobs sitting around debating whether the wines had quince, black olive, or plum undertones. Thankfully, this was not the case. Like you said, the wine rep did a great job giving a little background on the winery, the grapes, and the regions from which each wine was made.

Besides, how often do you get to taste a wine that cost, at the store, $180?

I'll have to catch the next one when I'm not out of town. Sounds like it was great, though. My knowledge of Italian wines is very, very limited ( Been trying to focus on French)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"