• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Byblos Restaurant- Lebanese Food

NYC Mike

I am on a boycott chain restaurants kick these past few months. Up by us in Alpharetta (TN if you ask Terese :-) you can't throw a rock without hitting a mass market chain. Independents are a fast dying endangered species so a good one like Byblos is really a rare find!

We tried half a dozen or so mezza both hot and cold. The stand out was the kibbeh. For main we both had the mixed grill which was exceptional.

Byblos

10684 Alpharetta Highway - Roswell, GA. 30075 - 678 352 0321

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

I last ate at Byblos about 3 or 4 years ago. We had a good experience. My wife is 1/2 Lebanese. Has Byblos changed over the past few years? Did you have baked, fried, or raw Kibbbeh?

We like the pies at Jerusalem Bakery behind Tasty China in Marietta. Jerusalem Bakery is my favorite for getting middle eastern food to go. It is also cheap.

Rumi's does some tasty Iranian food, but it is a little snotty. Cedars has some decent Lebanese food too.

I agree, support the local. We need to get back to Byblos.

Cheers

Edited by ROWDY (log)

• 3 weeks later...
Independents are a fast dying endangered species so a good one like Byblos is really a rare find!

I could not disagree more with that statement. First let me tell you my parameters. I live pretty much on the border of Roswell/Alpharetta/John’s Creek area. I consider about seven miles to be “within reasonable distance”. So that encompasses parts of Alpharetta, most of Roswell, parts of John’s Creek, the westernmost part of Norcross and the northern tip of Dunwoody.

Just as one example, I think Byblos is the fourth best Persian/Middle Eastern place using the above limitations. I definitely prefer Aladdin (super casual) and Davish and I’d rate Sahara pretty close. All three are just a few miles from Byblos.

I’ll grant you the “special occasion” bells and whistle places are limited, though existent in these parts. However other than more obscure cuisines like Indonesian or Burmese, I can pretty much find a quality INDEPENDENT restaurant of any type within seven or so miles.

What type of places are you looking for?

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

CPB! Great reply, I am going to google Aladdin for a start! I agree 7 miles ish is a fine distance to drive. I'm on the other side of you, the John's Creek, Duluth, Alpharetta border.

I'd love to find more independent, casual places, any kind of food really. Decent enough to take the kids etc. I can't bear to see the inside of another Chilis etc.

-Mike

Independents are a fast dying endangered species so a good one like Byblos is really a rare find!

I could not disagree more with that statement. First let me tell you my parameters. I live pretty much on the border of Roswell/Alpharetta/John’s Creek area. I consider about seven miles to be “within reasonable distance”. So that encompasses parts of Alpharetta, most of Roswell, parts of John’s Creek, the westernmost part of Norcross and the northern tip of Dunwoody.

Just as one example, I think Byblos is the fourth best Persian/Middle Eastern place using the above limitations. I definitely prefer Aladdin (super casual) and Davish and I’d rate Sahara pretty close. All three are just a few miles from Byblos.

I’ll grant you the “special occasion” bells and whistle places are limited, though existent in these parts. However other than more obscure cuisines like Indonesian or Burmese, I can pretty much find a quality INDEPENDENT restaurant of any type within seven or so miles.

What type of places are you looking for?

-Mike & Andrea

It’s been a good 10 years since I’ve seen the inside of a Chili’s, though I will confess their farm raised catfish wasn’t too bad. I know there are chains here and everywhere, but they all look the same to me. I couldn’t tell you which is which.

Honestly, just within the seven or so mile parameters, I could come up with at least 50 indies that are good to excellent. Ironically, so few are within four miles of me, but from 4-7 in each direction there are many. Oh and most places around here are kid friendly—they have to be.

I think you mentioned your kids playing soccer at Newtown Park, as do mine. So it’s not likely you are far from me. I lived ITP—both in Northlake and for several months in Decatur while I was waiting for my first house to be built. I never had as many choices as I do now.

Of course in fairness, I also have 10 times as many choices here as when I moved here five years ago, so things change everywhere.

As far as the aforesaid Aladdin http://www.aladdinmediterraneanrestaurant.com/#

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

• 7 months later...