• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top quality aged beef -- in Barcelona?

The following comment by vserna in another thread got me thinking:

There is no market in Galicia for seriously aged beef - no local tradition, no local appetite for it.

Is this also true of Barcelona? I have to say, the conversations I've had with butchers about buying aged beef have been fairly short and pointless. At markets I only ever hear people asking if the meat is "muy tierna" and buying tiny, quickly-cooked cuts. Decent buey seems to be the best bet but I am yet to find anyone who has any interest in hanging the meat let alone anyone who practises it.

Yeah, noticed the same thing about horse. None of it looks as well-hung as what I'm used to. If you know what I mean...

However there are ways around it. I've done a bit of fridge-ageing at home. There was an article by Heston Blumenthal about it a few years ago in the Guardian. Can stink up the fridge a bit, but no more so than some top-notch cheese.