• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Awesome sources for high quality Italian products

I was just introduced to a FANTASTIC Italian market yesterday in Boston's North End. For those not near Boston, they do mail order. The stuff I tasted (proscuitto and cheese) was amazing. And, they also sell a balsamic vinegar that is quite interesting. They made a deal with the producer to basically sell his production. So, the guy does not go through the hoops and expense to get a DOP or similar label. Result: for about $35 you get a bottle that would otherwise be maybe $90.

Their site is here: Salumeria Italiana

Other great sources for Italian high quality products??? Please add to the thread.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

And, they also sell a balsamic vinegar that is quite interesting.  They made a deal with the producer to basically sell his production.  So, the guy does not go through the hoops and expense to get a DOP or similar label.  Result:  for about $35 you get a bottle that would otherwise be maybe $90.

Their site is here:  Salumeria Italiana

Other great sources for Italian high quality products???  Please add to the thread.

-Mark-

I haven't tasted the stuff, so I don't know how it compares. FWIW, it does not have the label of balsamico tradizionale di Modica. They describe it so:

Rubio is hand-crafted in the 'style' of Consortium-approved authentic 'Tradizionale' balsamico vinegars

I am skeptical.

I agree with Judith regarding Gustiamo.com. While not cheap, the quality of the products they sell is top notch.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

In my experience the best American source for both real balsamico and the highest quality olive oils is the Rare Wine Co.

http://rarewineco.com/

There really is no comparison, no amount of fancy sales language that can be used to make other offerings actually taste as good as what Rare Wine Co. sells. There are a few people out there who import a single brand of olive oil that's competitive, but nobody matches Rare Wine Co.'s portfolio. You need to place your order the second the annual mailings come out, otherwise you won't have access to the full selection.

If money is no object, Peck is amazing and ships to the US, plus the English website is simple to navigate.

http://www.peck.it/

Because Peck is actually in Italy, you get incredible Parmigiano Reggiano and such -- but it's really, really expensive.

If you're looking for value on Italian products in the US, you can't beat Teitel Bros. on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

http://www.teitelbros.com/

$8.99 a pound for three-year Parmigiano, respectable cold-pressed unfiltered Sicilian olive oil for $7.99 a liter . . . not in the same league as the above sources but very good and incredible value.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...

Or on a more personal note... if any of you need something special from Piedmont, I get around to most of the more interesting gourmet shops. Let me know what you need and I will send it to you. You pay the cost of the item and the shipping... I don't want a cut. I figure I can always use more food oriented friends. :wink:

Ed