• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help finding Riveria bread or Genoa Bread

Since I had no clue as to what either of these were, I looked them up--is this what you're talking about?

This from Practically Edible

Genoa Bread (aka "pain de Gênes" in French) is a cake with almonds. Almost half its weight is butter and almonds.

The yellow batter is made with butter, eggs and almond paste. The egg whites are whipped for leavening (some versions don't bother beating the egg white.)

Often a small amount of flavouring from an alcohol such as kirsch is added.

The top may have sliced almonds pressed into it, and can sometimes be found dusted with icing sugar.

It is traditionally made in a "pain de Gênes" pan, which has tall sides.

I couldn't find anything on Riviera bread...can you elaborate?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The names were given to me by a restaurant owner. That description does not seems right. Basically a twice baked thinly sliced toasted bread to serve with cheese spread.

Since I had no clue as to what either of these were, I looked them up--is this what you're talking about?

This from Practically Edible

Genoa Bread (aka "pain de Gênes" in French) is a cake with almonds. Almost half its weight is butter and almonds.

The yellow batter is made with butter, eggs and almond paste. The egg whites are whipped for leavening (some versions don't bother beating the egg white.)

Often a small amount of flavouring from an alcohol such as kirsch is added.

The top may have sliced almonds pressed into it, and can sometimes be found dusted with icing sugar.

It is traditionally made in a "pain de Gênes" pan, which has tall sides.

I couldn't find anything on Riviera bread...can you elaborate?

RAF