• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moo Barcelona Review- also Cafe Viena

Ate in Moo last night. Had a wonderful table and the waiter suggested the tasting menu. After reviewing options with him, we decided to let him select an "ultimate" tasting menu for us. What a dissapointment. We never saw our waiter again the entire two and a half hours we were there. He never came over to check on his selections for us. Maybe he was embarassed? Courses sat undelivered for many minutes on the waiter station. Came to the table undescribed. I think Moo is riding it's past success. Very indifferent service, just ok matching wines, 120 Euro person was ok, but the whole experience was very very disappoining! I kept thinking that I didn't need to come all the way to Barcelona from New York not to eat anything special. Anyway, we are eating at La Clara for lunch and Abac for dinner tonight. Reviews to follow. Hopefully will be better than last night.

Oh, went to the NY Times rave Cafe Viena for second breakfast this morning. Had the famous flauta d’ibéric sandwich.. For 5.90 Euro...a steal. Don't miss this place right on Las Ramblas!!

I had an entirely different experience at Moo, 3 weeks ago, great food, great service, at lunchtime.

Had a manzanilla, some amuse-gueles and 2 starters, 4 mains courses in half portions a la carte, a plate of cheeses (not so good, an italian vertical, with so great cheeses around in Catalunya), a dessert (Trip to Havana) and another one (not charged) Trèsor by Lâncome, a Molino Real (not charged either), coffee. Wine: white Tondonia Reserva 98. Total, one person, 135 euros, tip not included, worth each cent.

The sommelier was attemptive and polite, the staff perfect, fast, efficient, corteous. The place is very nice and I am recommending it to friends. I have to add that I avoided it in previous trips, fearing it to be too much a non-descript hotel rest, a mere copy of the Rocas in Girona. I was glad to see it is not.

Edited to post the name of the young and skilled sommelier: Roger Viusà.

Edited by luizhorta (log)

I'm pasting in my experience of about a year back, I believe my visit falls just about in between these two rather contrasting reviews..

society donor

Member No.: 10,570

Judith: I'm sorry to say that my two last visits to Moo in February and April 2006 duplicated your visit. On the latter occasion I was hosting a group of colleagues and friends and the service was totally off any pitch. The waiters, maitre d' and bartenders have the unique ability to act busy whilst achieving and doing absolutely nothing... After 1,5 hours we had received our first appetizer, had been proposed the wrong wine 3 times and had to beg for some bread...

This promoted me to pull the maitre d' aside and politely in Spanish suggest to him that both service and attitude left rather much to be desired, at the same time pointing out the flaws I had experienced on this and former occasions...

The maitre took our point and from there on in the service improved to such an extent that my colleagues whispered whether I had any connections with the mafia..:-)

Alas: The food: Less than inspired, and as mentioned before, its sibling further north provides a far better experience.

I'm pasting in my experience of about a year back, I believe my visit falls just about in between these two rather contrasting reviews..

society donor

Judith: I'm sorry to say that my two last visits to Moo in February and April 2006 duplicated your visit. On the latter occasion I was hosting a group of colleagues and friends and the service was totally off any pitch. The waiters, maitre d' and bartenders have the unique ability to act busy whilst achieving and doing absolutely nothing... After 1,5 hours we had received our first appetizer, had been proposed the wrong wine 3 times and had to beg for some bread...

This promoted me to pull the maitre d' aside and politely in Spanish suggest to him that both service and attitude left rather much to be desired, at the same time pointing out the flaws I had experienced on this and former occasions...

The maitre took our point and from there on in the service improved to such an extent that my colleagues whispered whether I had any connections with the mafia..:-)

Alas: The food: Less than inspired, and as mentioned before, its sibling further north provides a far better experience.

Just for the record, we just had lunch with a few chefs from the area, and the word on Moo is basically simple...AVOID this restaurant. For great food in Barcelona, see my new review on Restaurant Abac.

Sockster, you wrote in a previous post:

"Look at MOO, CINC SENTITIS, LASARTE, COMERC 24, ALKIMIA, AND ABAC. These are all awesome now. "

Maybe you should decide about Moo...

society donor

Just for the record, we just had lunch with a few chefs from the area, and the word on Moo is basically simple...AVOID this restaurant. For great food in Barcelona, see my new review on Restaurant Abac.