• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les fines Gueules,Paris 1e

pierre45

Last friday we had dinner at les fines gueules looking forward to a stellar evening.

The restaurant has received glowing reviews from several critics.It sources it ingredients from impeccable sources.i,e poujouran for bread,chez bordier for butter,etc.

We started with cold cuts and they were very good and then had rouget with zuchini and cote de porc with potatoes.We did not finish the 2 main dishes.The rouget was bland and the pork dish was 40% fat and therefore very greasy.However the potatoes were good.

None of the wines mentionned by the critics were available,i,e loire wines by breton,Le cote de rousillion,etc.However we had a decent bourgueil at 27 euros.

The chocolate dessert which was a dense chocolat mousse was deliceous.

Overall it was a disapointing meal.The chef I assume must have be absent because the results were less then average.

I will not return.I had the feeling that all the critics were royally treated by the owners and the rest of us mortals get reality.

I hate to say it, but I agree. It was a stylish bar and restaurant, the service was friendly, wine was good, but the main courses were very average. I guess I had very high expectations given the reviews, but I was dissapointed.

I had the feeling that all the critics were royally treated by the owners and the rest of us mortals get reality.

Not all: Emmanuel Rubin only gave it one heart, it was Pierrick Jegu and Jerome Berger and yours truly who blew it up. Also, you may have a point about royalty, I was with a recognizable critic who was known not only to the house but to the vendors who supplied the house and were eating there the day we did. Their presence certainly influenced the patron's offer of wines we were asked to try. After two negative reports tho', from you two, whom I respect, I'll go back with a beard and with no one who could influence the situation.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I had the feeling that all the critics were royally treated by the owners and the rest of us mortals get reality.

Not all: Emmanuel Rubin only gave it one heart, it was Pierrick Jegu and Jerome Berger and yours truly who blew it up. Also, you may have a point about royalty, I was with a recognizable critic who was known not only to the house but to the vendors who supplied the house and were eating there the day we did. Their presence certainly influenced the patron's offer of wines we were asked to try. After two negative reports tho', from you two, whom I respect, I'll go back with a beard and with no one who could influence the situation.

John.You're a very fair person.

While I was disappointed by the main couses (no wow-factor), I was also dissapointed by the menu's offerenings. I would give it another try if the menu had more selection like the ones JT had earlier reviewed or something that called out to me. I love the idea of seasonality and frequent menu changes, so I haven't lost all hope for its being stellar. Perhaps seasonally stellar... I guess I have my fingers crossed because it is in walking distance too!

While I was disappointed by the main couses (no wow-factor), I was also dissapointed by the menu's offerenings. I would give it another try if the menu had more selection like the ones JT had earlier reviewed or something that called out to me. I love the idea of seasonality and frequent menu changes, so I haven't lost all hope for its being stellar. Perhaps seasonally stellar... I guess I have my fingers crossed because it is in walking distance too!

I'd suggest you go by and peruse the chalkboard before buying because as I noted - the board from the day before was 180º different from that of the day we ate there. But guys, 2 bad reports are telling. Caution! Caution!

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 11 months later...

Well, we had dinner at les Fines Gueules in early May and enjoyed it very much. The excellent first courses were more exciting than the mains, it's true, but the dessert was also stellar. Can't recall the wine I'm afraid, but here's my note of the meal from the blog I write when traveling:

>>Last night we wanted to stay in the neighborhood for a simple meal and wound up at Les Fines Gueules near Place des Victoires, a wine bar that distinguishes itself by serving impeccably fresh simple food sourced from the best names among local producers. We had a terrine of fish with leeks and eggs baked with barely smoked haddock to start (here's the terrine de poissons, discreetly snapped for your edification) and shrimp Provencale and a gorgeous hand chopped tartare de boeuf. Dessert was an entire peeled poached peach (can you say that 3 times, fast?) with a sauce of caramel laitier, a milky unctuous cream. <<

Now that I think about it, it was awfully early for peaches...