• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beans

LuckyGirl

Our beloved Rancho Gordo specializes in discovering long-lost New World beans; many rare and wonderful varieties.

Gigantes, or yigandes, are Greek beans so they will be significantly harder to obtain in the states.

I think Gordo's Marrow beans might be a good substitute for flavor as they are rich and creamy. If you just want size, both his Scarlet Runner and Christmas Lima beans are pretty substantive.

Thanks all and hello Lucky Girl. The whole world wants Gigandes/Gigante this year so I think you're going to have a hard time finding them and if you do, you will pay dearly. There's also Runner Cannellini and Cellini, both large white runners that aren't as big as the Gigande but they're also not as potatoey; they're more buttery and creamy.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Thanks to all.

I don't mind paying for gigantes so if anyone comes across them, please let me know.

It's not necessarily the size I'm after rather the creaminess. So, I will try the marrow beans.

I love the creaminess of canelli beans but the gigantes I've had were even creamier which is why I would like to find some.

I'm looking forward to trying some of Rancho Gordo's beans.

Just an FYI for you Rancho Gordo, when I did a google search for "where to buy beans", "bean merchant" etc. you didn't come up. Hopefully you can do something about that

It's not necessarily the size I'm after rather the creaminess. So, I will try the marrow beans.

No- do the runner cannellini or cellini. Both are big and creamy. Marrows are light and delicate como le ali di una farfalla, like a butterfly's wings.

I love the creaminess of canelli beans but the gigantes I've had were even creamier which is why I would like to find some.

Just a note, a runner cannellini is not a cannellini. They're two different plants.

cannellini.jpg

I'm looking forward to trying some of Rancho Gordo's beans.

Just an FYI for you Rancho Gordo, when I did a google search for "where to buy beans", "bean merchant" etc. you didn't come up. Hopefully you can do something about that

Mmmmm......

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray