• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Focacceria, Middletown

steakas

I went to an Italian Restaurant named Focacceria, which used to be called Regina's before they changed ownership. It’s relatively new and opened sometime about 6 months ago.

Last week I was invited to Focacceria for an 8th grade graduation party on a Sunday afternoon. The food was excellent. They served the basics which were all impressive and very tasty; notably fried calamari, eggplant rollatini, stuffed mushrooms (okay) and clams oreganata (probably all are very Americanized Italian).

The shining star appetizer (to me) was the Tripe Fra Diavolo. Most guests didn’t eat it, but I finished it. It was superb. It is served in a spicy marinara with peas and potatoes for $8.

Last night I ate there and had the same superb appetizer. I ate Chicken Parm for the main dish, something basic that can’t be screwed up. It too was excellent. Their marinara is not overwhelming and very good.

Portions are oversized and made for a good lunch today. The big portions are not what impressed me. Where else can you get tripe on a menu? The last place I remember was Sal’s on Shrewsbury Avenue in Red Bank.

Two appetizers, two meals and two coffees, tax & tip ran me $50. I’m going back this week, and I’m looking forward to it. Don’t bother googl’ing Focacceria; they’re located at:

965 Route 36 (at Avenue D)

Atlantic Highlands, NJ

732 291 5343

BYO

When I get a chance I’ll scan & post the menu which will give you a better about the food. I cannot wait to go back!!

edit: I found another article on this place. I was wrong, it open 11 months.

http://www.bayshorenews.com/4/dg_template.php?ID=86

Edited by steakas (log)

:D

• 1 month later...

I went back last week and our meals utterly sucked. The tripe was still good but our meals were terrible. They are also understaffed, so as you can guess service also sucked. I withdraw my previous good statements.

Edit:

Prediction: this place will fold like Villa Eduardo of Red Bank did. So far I'm 1 for 1 with predicting closings. Let's see if I go 2 for 2...

Edited by steakas (log)

• 1 year later...
I went back last week and our meals utterly sucked.  The tripe was still good but our meals were terrible.  They are also understaffed, so as you can guess service also sucked.  I withdraw my previous good statements.

Edit:

Prediction: this place will fold like Villa Eduardo of Red Bank did.  So far I'm 1 for 1 with predicting closings.  Let's see if I go 2 for 2...

2 for 2 - closed

it's now Gianna's.. not sure how it's doing. hopefully they do well, but I won't try it unless i'm prompted