• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heirloom Tomatoes

southern girl

I couldn't take sides in the question of quartering or slicing, although often they are irregular and too in need of trimming to make slicing an option. Otherwise just proceed as for tomato salad, but lighter on the dressing to enjoy the flavor of the tomatoes. A little olive oil, evoo for preference, basil or parsley, fleur de sel and a splash of vinegar, sherry vinegar for preference. The more often I have them during the season, the more likely I am to add shallots, or combine them with some fresh mozzarella or finely sliced ricotta salata.

I find a lot of the locally grown (NY, NJ, etc.) tomatoes have a thick skin and peeling them can often increase the enjoyment of eating them. A quick blanching makes them easy to peel.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Interestingly, I once took part in an heirloom tomato tasting. We tasted them plain and with a touch of salt. It was amazing the difference a little salt could make with some of them, and vice versa. We were most surprised that some were MUCH better naked!

In a salad composed of several types, of course, I'd still add S+P, (maybe)herbs & EVO, and perhaps a slight drizzle of balsamico traditionale (75 yr old!) if you like.

Luscious smell like love

Essential black milk worship

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

My very favorite salad:

Good tomatoes, sliced

Sweet onions (purple, or Maui or Vidalia or Texas 1015s), sliced

Drizzle with:

EVOO

Balsamic Vinegar

Greek feta crumbled over.

Salt & pepper to taste

Sometimes add a few nice olives if you want; if you have them

This salad is, for me anyway, ambrosial

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

perhaps a slight drizzle of balsamico traditionale (75 yr old!) if you like.

That would be a waste. The acidity of the tomatoes would likely kill the refined flavor of such an old tradizionale. I would use tops a good 5 year old for something like that. a DROP of tradizionale should be used with stuff like strawberries, vanilla ice cream or perhaps some ricotta.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

perhaps a slight drizzle of balsamico traditionale (75 yr old!) if you like.

That would be a waste. The acidity of the tomatoes would likely kill the refined flavor of such an old tradizionale. I would use tops a good 5 year old for something like that. a DROP of tradizionale should be used with stuff like strawberries, vanilla ice cream or perhaps some ricotta.

Love heirloom tomatoes, love balsamico traditionale, have never tried them together...in my mind I thought it might work. I didn't think of the acidity. I usually just have my balsamico straight from a spoon.

Though I have to ask, is there such a thing as a "good 5 year old" balsamico?? I thought most of those were just caramel colored vinegar! :hmmm:

Luscious smell like love

Essential black milk worship

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

My impression is that good balsmicos are produced at about six or eight years, or maybe it's five. These are not the tradizionale, but they're far from the mass produced supermarket products. There was a good thead a while back. In fact I think there were a few. I think this was the best of them.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.