• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rise up! (against pre-made sandwiches)

Fat Guy

There is nothing like a fresh French dip at Philippe's in Los Angeles but I also enjoy a pre-made sandwich at Bouchon Bakery in NYC, for me there was nothing. Back in my days at The CIA in Hyde Park, I quite often enjoyed a pre-made sandwich at the bakery. I think it really just depends, some good bread, good condiments and some love can make a good pre-made sandwich.

Oh yes, the hand cut lamb sandwich at Phillipe's, the hand cut pastrami sandwich at the legenday Langer's in McArthur Park, the red tomato & escarole sandwiches I make on a crusty hazelnut sage baguette, the long departed Ship-Shape hamburgers on sourdough dread [RIP], and my all time favorite ... Niman Ranch applewood smoked bacon, fresh ripe tomatoes, escarole, homemade mayo on Buona Fortuna bread. Yes, the BLT is my fav!!!

Love Phillipe's! A Lamb dip with sliced bleu cheese tucked inside. Then a touch of their hot mustard here and there added at the table. Oh, mustn't forget the coleslaw and a baked apple after!

Edited by Susie Q (log)

In general, I dont much like sandwiches. They do a job. however...

sublime: yes. There's a little place in Sacramento, which makes a grilled veggie sandwich that is eye-rolling, moan aloud, guard-the-plate good.

Okay, now I am interested to know what is in this sandwich that makes a person who doesn't much like sandwiches roll his eyes and moan aloud! Spill!