• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dinner in a castle near Edinburgh

If you go for a pre-theatre dinner (which in practice just means early usually before 7.30) you can eat at great restaurants at a reasonable price.

For instance, we ate at the Scotch Malt Whisky Society society the other night where three courses were about £17 (although mainly for members, you can eat at the restaurant)

The following restaurants all have good food and are reasonably priced. I've included links to the List which offers independents review of restaurants for Edinburgh. Also, you can book on www.5pm.co.uk which is very good for last minute bookings.

If you like fish, try Fishers or the Mussel Inn (both good for kids!)

The Atrium for a stylish, delicious meal - they do a set menu for around £25

Forth Floorat Harvey Nichols for one of the best views in Edinburgh

Do enjoy your visit!

Looking for suggestions.  Will be taking my inlaws and two children in September.  Also dinner in Edinburgh with entrees under 20 GBP would be nice.  Witchery looks good, but out of my price range.

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com

Looking for suggestions.  Will be taking my inlaws and two children in September.  Also dinner in Edinburgh with entrees under 20 GBP would be nice.  Witchery looks good, but out of my price range.

The Witchery does do a set pre-theatre dinner menu early and late evening for £12.95 for 2 courses. I've no idea how it compares with the a la carte though.

According to the GFG the set dinner menu is available 5.30-6.30 and 10.30-11.