• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whisky and Water

Henry dV

The addition of a little water is known as 'The Stag's Breath' in Scotland & some other parts of the UK. The idea is that it releases the flavor & the aroma and lessens the heat. Personally speaking my tipple is The Macallan (21 or 25) with an itsy bitsy drop or two (15 to 20% max) of cooled spring water, just below room temperature (not refrigerator cold). Ice in my book is a no-no with quality malts as inevitably you have to wait for the full release of flavors and possibly scorching the whiskey with ice.

I'm pretty sure that the way you drink your whisky is personal, so please continue to drink it your own way, however it may well be worth trying some of the above recommended methods. ;)

Scorching the whiskey? Could you explain this bit of esoterica please.

I would if I could, but I'm devoid of all scientific knowledge on the matter: However I was told by a master-blender, that it was akin to a human jumping naked into an ice-bath (Scandanavian style) that causes an immediate reaction to the skin from the shock of the cold temperature. Now I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that 'ice burn' or scorching would make me less tasty too!