• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best fixed price lunch vancouver

vandan

Jules in Gastown. Salad, Steak and frites, and dessert for $20.

Stephen Bonner

I'll second that. Went there after an intolerable wait for drinks on Chill Winston's patio. Jules' prix fixe salad was simple but not plain and the menu offers a choice of salmon or a chunkily marbled rib steak with a few sauce choices. Immensely satisfying with charming and effecient service. It felt like we were supporting a good and honest venture. I have and will continue to recommend it to the guests that I serve.

Gave the Chill Winston patio a second try in the evening. Joiners at our table were not offered bevvies for twenty minutes. As we were pressed for time we ditched Winston again and the friendly staff squeezed us in at Jules.

I must say though that our first experience at CW was excellent and they may have been short-staffed as it was the first day of sun in a coupla weeks.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

Fuel Restaurant has 2 prix fix lunches. A $25.00 one that has brodo soup, then braised lamb shoulder sandwich , then a vanilla rice pudding with lemon sorbet. Also a $35.00 that has morel mushroom risotto with shredded duck confit, then crispy rainbow trout, then a chocolate brownie with cocoa cardamom soup and vanilla ice cream. MMMMmmmmmm!!!

I had that morel risotto the other night as a part of a 5-course dinner, and that was the best dish of the evening. A bit "soupier" than I was used to (just think of it as more mushroomy broth), but the flavours were outstanding.

I also had the rainbow trout, which while nicely cooked, seemed to be lacking an element. It came with cooked dandelion greens and hazelnuts - maybe a brightening acid would have lifted it up a bit.

But the risotto, seriously good.