• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGfoodblog: Dave Hatfield

Dave: Thank you for the lovely visit to your village. The food reminds me of a visit to my half-French cousin's house in California. They served a simple, delicious meal, accompanied by ample quantities of well-chosen French wines. Two decades later, I can still remember their grilled zucchini. Fresh ingredients cooked well, and a refreshing story told well. I am sorry to see it end.

Thank you so much for blogging an especially for the narrative and the photos of your walks. My head and heart are still stuck on your first lunch of sausage, salad, cepes, and cheese. My first exposure to this style of eating was Corsica in the early 70's and it remains a hallmark for me in terms of consideration and enjoyment of simple wonderful food. As to your puppy- I always thought he was a Photoshop "superimposition" of a moose and a dog!

:biggrin: Such a very unexpected treat - thank you! Hubby and I have 2-weeks planned. I was so nice and let him pick and he chose Tuscany. I figure that since I'm making the arrangements, he'll get on the plane and unexpectedly be enroute to Southern France in the 2nd week and LOVE it! I haven't been in the region since 1989 and am suddenly homesick. Such a wonderful peek into your blessed life! :wub:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

I am so glad that I was able to 'get back' to egullet in time to respond to your blog. I have enjoyed this so much. If I never realize my dream of travel, I will have had a lovely taste of rural France thanks to you, Dave. I have taken lovely walks with you and Rupert. I have eaten your glorious apricot tart. I have smelled heavenly cheeses - both subtle and stinky! I have gone along on your road trips and seen incomparable views! Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us, Dave. And for enriching my life!

Kim

Paul and I think that the "little brother" is for clamping tubing, and perhaps a more confortable corkscrew!

You're right about the tubing.

And, it's a corkscrew for 1/2 bottles.

Dave

(just joking)

Edited by Dave Hatfield (log)

ote]

My French has gotten all rusty and barnacled over the decades since I took it in high school, but it looks like the "all dark chocolate" dessert has some sort of sweet-and-savory, sweet-and-pungent riffs going on.

Mousse with Szechuan peppercorns? Chocolate creme with fleur de sel (sea salt, right?)?

How were those two?

Your translation is pretty good. Yes to both plus the ice cream with cardamome.

I didn't have it, but those who did were delighted.

Linda & i had the apricot dessert and were over the moon!

Fantastic blog, Dave! I loved the whole thing, but perhaps my favorite part of it was the photojournalism of the errand you did with Rupert. You, Linda, and Rupert obviously have a wonderful joie de vivre, and it's great that you've had the experience of being accepted by a friendly community. I have not been to that part of rural France but did experience the effusive friendliness of people in Burgundy and the Loire Valley during a trip in 2002, and it reminded me very much of my experiences in Italy.

Michael aka "Pan"

Dave, again many thanks for taking us with you to your wonderful village and letting us glimpse a part of your life. Thank you for teaching me how to prepare the wonderful Salad Nicoise. I hope to see you once again here soon.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

That was a lovely yarn. Its been nearly twenty years since I spent a summer touring France by bicycle and munching voraciously. Your blog set off a few welcomed flashbacks for me.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

This is a sauce made locally here in the Rouergue and which is a traditional addition to magret. I first learned of it from Jeanne Strang's book "Goose Fat & Garlic". I highly recommend this book by the way. If you like the Paula Wolfert book on South Western French cooking you'll also love this book. In addition to the recipes Jeanne describes a way of life that continues in this area, but is slowly fading away.

If I can't have more of your blog, Dave, then I will console myself with "Goose Fat & Garlic" for the next few days. Thanks for recommending this - it's a terrific read.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog