• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

curry baby octopus

Dejah

I bought a big bag of baby octopus today as I love the way it's served at dim sum restaurants: curried, tender...

Anyone have a recipe they've tried? Octopus can be pretty tough if handled improperly. I don't want to be disappointed.

Are they marinaded before steaming? Braised? I just know they come out in little dishes. :blink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I still have 3/4 bag of the critters I bought a year ago in the freezer. Short of laying them all out on the driveway and running the SUV over them a hundred times, there ain't no way to tenderize them suckers. I just mouth them a few times and be content with the "texture" and mouth feel. :biggrin::laugh::wacko:

I still have 3/4 bag of the critters I bought a year ago in the freezer. Short of laying them all out on the driveway and running the SUV over them a hundred times, there ain't no way to tenderize them suckers. I just mouth them a few times and be content with the "texture" and mouth feel.  :biggrin:  :laugh:  :wacko:

Batali suggested soaking these "rubbers" with wine cork for several of hours. The wine cork will tenderized them.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

I still have 3/4 bag of the critters I bought a year ago in the freezer. Short of laying them all out on the driveway and running the SUV over them a hundred times, there ain't no way to tenderize them suckers. I just mouth them a few times and be content with the "texture" and mouth feel.  :biggrin:  :laugh:  :wacko:

Batali suggested soaking these "rubbers" with wine cork for several of hours. The wine cork will tenderized them.

Yeah? And what would be the appropriate incantation to accompany the procedure?

"Double double, toil and trouble,

Fire burn and cauldron bubble......"

So, for dim sum they must marinade them with, perhaps baking soda before steaming them? I can't see them using Ben's "SUV" method. :rolleyes::laugh:

I'm going to make Javanese chicken curry tonight, so maybe I'll pull a few out, soak 'em in baking soda, then throw them in with some of the curry.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Iron Chef Italian (Japanese version) tenderized his live octopus by hitting it with a huge diakon radish. Could be a great stress reliever.

I also heard that you can tenderize and deslime the octopus by massaging it with sea salt.

Iron Chef Italian (Japanese version) tenderized his live octopus by hitting it with a huge diakon radish.  Could be a great stress reliever.

I also heard that you can tenderize and deslime the octopus by massaging it with sea salt.

I can see tenderizing large octopus, but from what I've been able to find out, baby ocotpus don't need to be tenderized. They also said that freezing would tenderize these little guys. :huh:

If I used a large daikon, it would reduce stress, then I'd need to be massaged (without the sea salt ) when I'm done. :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I cooked five baby octopii for supper on Monday. This is also posted in the cooking thread. The main course was West Sumatran Curry Chicken, so I covered the "babies" with this curry broth then steamed them for 10 minutes. Prior to cooking, the octopii were seasoned with salt, a bit of oil and cornstarch. This blended with the broth to form a slightly thickened sauce.

gallery_13838_4218_28095.jpg

gallery_13838_4218_21588.jpg

It's not what I'm looking for, but they will do until someone gives me the proper recipe! The texture was fine - tender - but not enough flavour.

"Dejah continues her search........................." :laugh:

ETA: picture of baby octopii. :wacko:

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com