• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food Programme on UK restaurant economics

Did anyone else catch R4's Food Programme at 12.30 today on the economics of the current UK restaurant business?

I probably needn't have asked restaurant/pub owner egulleteers. You will have been serving Sunday lunch in order to earn your cut of the £>8bn total take.

As a once-a-week eater out I found it an interesting listen. I wasn't previously aware that less than 30% of my bill goes towards the cost of ingredients. I was pleased to hear of some recommended strategies (cutting down on the linen) but not of others (excessive mark up on wines; buying in prepared dishes).

I'd be interested to hear other peoples views, perhaps when you've 'listened again'.

(Colin Kelly is a major source of information in the programme. Given the success of Arbutus he clearly knows what he is talking about).

Just thought I'd add a link Malcom...you know I love my links!

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

I found this very interesting as I've just finished my own research into the subject for an article, albeit one that comes at a very different angle to this programme. Always a joy to listen to someone as direct as Rowley Leigh who just tells it like it is and doesn't try to spin the story. I was fascinated to hear Colin Kelly's comments, although perhaps he was a bit too honest when he talked about slicing pork belly thinly to ensure the restaurant made their margins! And I could listen to Alice Waters all day.

Very interesting I thought, nice to here about some good kitchen management at Arbutus - that's the sort of cost cutting you can deal with, making the best use of ingredients, tailoring the menu to what is available at the best price while still maintaining quality (Though I guess they must trust their supplier "Want to buy a dozen cheap black leg chickens?")

Wonder how long before Pollack becomes the new Monkfish?

I love animals.

They are delicious.